Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Kromer Convar keys or blanks

Does anyone know where I might get a couple of these sectional key blanks? I am trying not to have to make them from scratch. I don't have the keys yet but they look like Kromer Convar. Or if they turn out to be for a Convar, a set of cut keys would work also. Doug

Doh!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kromer blanks.JPG  

MBA used to keep them ...

I believe you are correct but not the last several times I have tried to get them. And that is over several years now. Doug

Hey Doug, if you are sure that the keys are for a Kromer Convar lock I could try to get them for you.

Thanks Adrian, I will check with the customer to make sure and get back to you. Doug

Hey Doug,

sure thing just let me know and I will get to it asap

Adrian

Guys, what's the difference between the Convar keys and the common Kromer Novum, as looking at the key you posted Doug, it looks just like an ordinary Kromer but with the slightly larger half-round channel up the bit?

Everyone used to call them the 'scoop-bits' here in the UK, and looking at the photo the key looks a basic Kromer but with a slightly larger 'scoop' on the bit. If Adrian can get factory blanks easy then that's gotta be way to go, but knowing that you can turn and mill I'm thinking it'd be an easy job to mod some standard Kromers if all they need is the larger 'scoop'- I used to do it all the time and it's a lot easier than totally making up blanks from scratch- but I realise that's only if the stem and bits are the same size.

We used to see a lot of the basic solid bits, the scooped bits like yours and the Protektors which had the angled cuts, but I know from seeing old catalogues there's a load of surprise variations on them!

Oh I think it's a Novum key alright. Just wishful thinking that the key is for a Convar as that lock is key changeable. What I've seen here is the 9 lever Novum on Kaso and the 8 lever Convar on some Tann safes. The Convar, at least the ones I have seen, has a smaller bore and barrel at the end of the shaft, which the pictured key does not appear to have. Both the Novum and the Convar have a fixed depth cut right next to the bolt step. The keys do look much alike, at least the versions with the scallop cut out.

I just got an email that it is for a Kaso safe so 9 lever Novum it is.

Thread Information