Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default need help in identifying a old lock

hello all, is there anyone here who can tell me about this lock? time period? what it was used for? who made it? worth?
    It was found in an area believed to be inhabited by Chinese miners in the late 1800s in southern oregon.
    thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140525_100012.jpg   20140525_100130.jpg  

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by daniel47 View Post
    hello all, is there anyone here who can tell me about this lock? time period? what it was used for? who made it? worth?
    It was found in an area believed to be inhabited by Chinese miners in the late 1800s in southern oregon.
    thank you.
    A very good example of a 'Barbed Spring' mechanism padlock. From the photo it seems fairly large and that suggests use on a gate or a very large chest . No idea of value. That type of mechanism dates back at least a couple of thousand years right up to today, so I would presume sometime during the time of the mining is as close to dating it as possible. That type of lock has been an is still being made from Turkey to Japan.
    BBE.

Thread Information