Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Yale combination locks off Ratner safes

Here's one of a few Yale combo locks I have which all came off Ratner single skin safes. I used to see a few of these every now and then and, going from memory, nearly always the same type of safe. Combination lock mounted above the key lock, with the bolt of the combo lock also operating a simple sliding brass strip which acted as a blocker over the keyhole. Unusually the key locks were never the big block pattern powder proof locks, they were always inferior, smaller brass cased 6 or 7 levers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	598.1 KB 
ID:	14000 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	40 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	14001 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	44 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	14002
    The safes were always beautifully furnished with velvet lined hardwood compartments and slim sliding drawers for stock, they were also pretty big at around 5 foot high.

yesterday I dug out an original instructions leaflet and was wondering which model this one is. Always had a soft spot for these chunky old Yales, but never used to see any nice polished brass ones, they were always like this.

Default Yale

I know the 024 and 025 are square cased locks. The 018 has a round back like yours. I'm not sure what 012 and 013 are?

DH

Haven't seen that model before but then again Yale made so many different ones I doubt I will ever see them all. The 012 iron and 013 bronze are larger rectangular vault models. Doug

Thanks David and Doug. Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that..

I was pretty much expecting you guys to yawn out loud and say it's the most widely used, commonest, most basic Yale model etc. We see so few antique combination locks on British safes over here, I just assumed these old Yales used by Ratner would be the commonest run-of-the-mill stuff. Just goes to show, there can be a surprise around any corner. Thanks for the replies guys, so its possibly an 018, and any idea of a rough date range going by the general style and appearance?

The cast iron case and basic lock design goes back as far as the 1880's and up into the 1920's and possibly the 30's. But the dial style is a late model seen on post WWII safes. I am pretty sure Yale wasn't making cast iron locks in the late 40's, so I would guess pre-war. Doug

That's great cheers Doug. I'd taken a wildish guess at 1920s on it but would never have known the dials a post WW2 pattern as it all looked inkeeping to me. Thanks mate

Thread Information