Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Quadruple patent.

Hi all, I have two of the Chatwood wreath type plaques. One is a double and the other a triple patent, I've just got hold of one of the Quadruple patent plaques and it's got me wondering. As most probably know I am a collector with very little technical knowledge so this is a bit of a newbie question. Were the patents on the locks or the safe overall? Thanks people for your help.

There were I believe up to 12 patents advertised relating to a Chatwood safe (10 is the largest one that I own).
    If they could file a patent they did and they related to both the safes and the locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    There were I believe up to 12 patents advertised relating to a Chatwood safe (10 is the largest one that I own).
    If they could file a patent they did and they related to both the safes and the locks.
    So does that mean there are more plaques with quintuple, sextuple patent etc etc? Does your 10th patent plaque therefore say dectuple patent. The only other wreath type plaques I've seen are the fire resisters. Tonks must've been sick of changing the text every time they put an order in off him. Thanks for the info regarding the patent question.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    So does that mean there are more plaques with quintuple, sextuple patent etc etc? Does your 10th patent plaque therefore say dectuple patent. The only other wreath type plaques I've seen are the fire resisters. Tonks must've been sick of changing the text every time they put an order in off him. Thanks for the info regarding the patent question.
    On the wreath escutcheons there are (I think without checking)ones that say fire resistor, double, triple, quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, octuple. There are different ways of hinging on a number of them and I would suggest that there are likely to have been a number of foundries that they used. Do you have any knowledge of their use of Tonks?
    The dextuple is not a wreath escutcheon.

On the wreath escutcheons there are (I think without checking)ones that say fire resistor, double, triple, quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, octuple. There are different ways of hinging on a number of them and I would suggest that there are likely to have been a number of foundries that they used. Do you have any knowledge of their use of Tonks?
    The dextuple is not a wreath escutcheon.
    I would love to see a picture of your dectuplate some time. I'm the only person I know who collects safe plaques and keys so the only time I get to see any is when you guys put some pics on. Regarding Tonks yes I have two Chatwoods plaques stamped WT and S with the sun emblem. I have added pics for confirmation. Most of my plaques just have numbers or letters and these are the only ones with a positive reference to Tonks. I presume I must have something a bit uncommon if you haven't seen stamps before? Thanks for your info it's much appreciated when I find out something new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Default Chatwood's DUODECUPLE Patent.

It's not easy to relate which new Chatwood improvement relates to which new numbering but I have a feeling that what
    is referred to in the 1887 advertisement below as Duodceuple might relate to Chatwood's Banker's Strongroom also referred to as "the Fort", particularly relating to the massive prestigeous installation for the Ottoman Bank in Istambul
    in 1892.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood Invincible adv..JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	14003 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood Banker's Strongroom.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	14004 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood Ottoman Bank..JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	14005 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chatwood's Hydr. operated S.Room.1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	14006

This is purely guesswork based on the timing and I would welcome any alternative theory.

That Ottoman Bank is open to view isnt it?
    Anyone fancy doing a lock collectors trip and seeing how much more they would show us behind the scenes if asked in the right way?

The top two rows are Tonks and the bottom row are not...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plates.jpg   plates2.jpg  

The top two rows are Tonks and the bottom row are not...
    Aaahhhhh safe plate heaven. Obviously my presumptions were wrong yet again. Thanks for the pics though men.

Thread Information