Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default This should be easy for you guys [Key Identification]

So over Memorial Day my niece was around, running around raising hell as 7 year old girls are want to do. Well she finds this key in the basement and starts making up all these fantastic stories about how it opens chests full of pirate treasure and whatnot.

Well being a pragmatic but not completely heartless uncle I decided to entertain her stories, I've decided to make her a treasure chest full of old coins and rocks (both of which she's into) and a story to go with it for her birthday here in July.

So what I'm asking of you folks is any kind of information on this key or how I could go about getting a mechanism/lock to fit this key. I've already emailed locksmiths and they told me to take a hike. It has no markings anywhere on it, but I can provide accurate measurements of any facet if it would help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoqzCQq.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	13978

Quote Originally Posted by DoYouHateChildren View Post

So what I'm asking of you folks is any kind of information on this key or how I could go about getting a mechanism/lock to fit this key. I've already emailed locksmiths and they told me to take a hike. It has no markings anywhere on it, but I can provide accurate measurements of any facet if it would help.
    Not as easy as you might think, looks like a really old key and without dimensions it is difficult to make a determination. I am however unaware of any extant lock that will accept that key as is. It might be possible to make your key fit a stock lock however. The MS-83/30 import chest lock from Major Mfg. Co. might be one, see thumbnail image. If your key is close enough in size to the original, a locksmith could perhaps modify your key to operate that lock.
    More lock info at the link:
    http://www.majormfg.com/pc-29-3-extra-security.aspx

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29.gif  

Depending on the size it looks like it would fit a variety of simple stock furniture locks as used over here, with little or even no modification.

It looks very similar to the key that operates the simple lock in my wardrobe door.

Thread Information