Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Diebold Constellation

Yesterday I saw something new (to me), a Diebold Constellation door. I had not heard of this line and I can't see that the name was ever trademarked by Diebold. This is a former bank which is now a bicycle shop. Here are some images:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	13957
    Above, the inside face. Opening the access door reveals no time locks and no combination lock. The gear that would couple the outside handle to the boltwork has been removed.

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	13958
    Above, the outside face showing a single combination lock in the center of the boltwork handle. Notice the substantial doorstop mounted to the wall.

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	13959
    Above, the side of the door had controls for a power open/close mechanism (electrical or hydraulic?). There is a keyswitch and three buttons: Open, Close, and Stop. And this seems odd to me. Having a single lock suggests a low-cost door but power open/close seems like a higher-end option. A high-end cheap door?

Name:	Diebold logo.gif 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	13960
    Above: This is the style of logo on the knob of the combination lock. It seems strange because this logo sort of went out of style in the 1930s, or so I thought. But the building and door would seem to be 1960s-ish. Maybe Diebold still had a big boxload of dials from an old production run?

In the same building is the former night depository safe (the outside has been covered up by remodeling work) with an S&G lock but no other branding:

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	13961

Can anybody shed some light on the Constellation line such as date range, options, whatever?

The county GIS system (Larimer County, CO) states the building was constructed in 1970.

My safe picture computer is broken but IIRC the door was originally a HHM that Diebold inherited after buying out HHM in 1959.

That is one weird door- found this- 1956 HHM

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	13966

I found a US trademark for five stars that belonged to HHM, serial number 72006923 which claimed first use June 25 1954, filed April 23, 1956, granted January 15, 1957, and renewed January 15, 1977. The trademark is listed as Dead.

Name:	ImageAgentProxy.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	13967

I could not find a trademark for "constellation" belonging to Herrin-Hall-Marvin or Diebold.

Diebold is still keeping the trademark "Herring-Hall-Marvin" alive, serial number 71016995.

The single dial in the center of the tri spoke handle controls two combination locks. The dial has two positions, pushed in for combination 1 and pulled out for combination 2. After correctly dialing in the combinations, and the time lock having expired, the control panel is then used to open the door. Simply turning the wafer key lock to the on position, and pressing the open button, the handle will rotate, retracting the bolts. The door will then began to swing open, all done by an electric motor.

This was by no means a cheap door. It was very well made, and the mechanism was a work of art. Long ago I had the chance to inspect and operate one of these vault doors.

Most (all?) two-lock doors can be configured to either open with one lock (the other is used for redundancy), or to require both locks be operated (dual custody). I believe most banks opted for redundancy. Do you happen to know if the Constellation was similarly configurable?

I would stick with most doors, not all on redundancy. And that door will follow the trend.

Default HHM 5 star

In my experience there were a two different styles of the 5 star, and more than few models. The Constellation being the simplest design to service. I have refurbished a few 5 stars, converted a few from automatic to manual operation, and drilled open one with a TL malfunction.

Fascinating door in my option!

DH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails outer 1.jpg   control system 2.jpg   bolt throw & dial spindels.jpg   access panel.JPG  

Default HHM 5 star

I forgot to mention, for those of you that like to read patents, the single dial to dual comb locks for HHM is 2852929. This design is very similar to the single dial Diebold Guardian BVD.

DH

Thread Information