Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Will you answer questions about specific locks?

Yes Paul, that's a model Ratner with grill gate. Its been in the collection a number of years but don't recall the donor/credit line. Could look it up if its important, do you know something about its provenance?

kwoswalt99 - ask away.

Was that oldlock's tangential? Do the large hobbs protectors have any unique technology besides a whole lot of gates and anti destructive entry measures? I.e. anti picking etc.

The Tangential in the pictures has been in the collection for many years, and you can see its a la-fetton version. Again I can look up the acquisition records and would love to learn of the significance you suggest.

Hobbs Patent protector refers to an anti-pressure device, the movable bolt stump, later he added a barrel and curtain to defeat the Goater method of holding down the bolt stump and since then the two features were known as Hobbs patent protectors (plural). Hence you don't see Hobbs Protector locks with false notches - generally the two principles dont work together, its one or the other.

Ah, anti-pressure, thanks for that info. A lot of the pictures in the museum are too small to tell how they work.
    Are there any S.J. Arnheims in the collection?

Yes several, including the Lammellenschloss and the Colosseum and others, although they weren't exhibited this time, perhaps we will ring the changes next time.

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Wow, there's some outstanding and stunning locks in there, and to think that's just a 'small part of the collection'...it's mind boggling!

First time I've seen the model of the Ratner door- often wondered why factory models and salesman samples from the great British makers seem impossibly rare compared to American examples.

My father missed a corker at one of the big antique shows at the NEC Birmingham about 20 years ago- a tiny Hobbs about 9 or 10 inches tall, had the correct handle, brass name plates and escutcheons cast in miniature. I didn't see it, but it sounded superb, and needless to say he always wished he'd bought it afterwards!

and to think that's just a 'small part of the collection'

jonathan1995 Guest

Will you answer questions about specific locks?

Of course - if we can...

Thread Information