Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default CHUBB Custodial Lock - Can you ID type?

Hi.

Asking if anyone can help identify this CHUBB custodial lock and number. It pre dates the 4L55 Chubb custodial lock, but would like to know its "ref number"
    as well as any other information about its manufacture date etc. very little info out there about these except for some CHUBB pdf info sheets on the newer types.

Set up is nearly identical to the newer types appart from some facial surrounds and handle changes (anti ligature)

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UK Jail Lock.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Shammon View Post
    Hi.

Asking if anyone can help identify this CHUBB custodial lock and number. It pre dates the 4L55 Chubb custodial lock, but would like to know its "ref number"
    as well as any other information about its manufacture date etc. very little info out there about these except for some CHUBB pdf info sheets on the newer types.

Set up is nearly identical to the newer types appart from some facial surrounds and handle changes (anti ligature)

Thank you.
    I have a T-handle "modern" 4L55 that is very similar to the one you pictured, except there is a surround on the lock indicator and the handle is powder coated. Not a lot of help, as I still don't know the number of yours. Finding info on the Custodial stuff is a challenge!

I too have this type and others, due to its nature and that some are more than likley still in some use I asume is the reason no one can or wants to update info. Il drop you a Pm

Thanks.

Since studied more and found it was the first of the modern 4L series. its a 4L54 but was changed ti the 4L55. The one before this was the 4L42.

I own an older version of the modern Chubb Custodial lock. I also once owned a module to a Chubb Custodial lock that had a British Patent number 811005. This Patent in fact appears to be the one modern Chubb Custodial locks are based on. I sold this module on eBay recently (181928398201).

Screenshot 20160122031808 1 1

Screenshot 20160122031803 1 1

IMAG3078 1 2 1

IMAG2985 1

IMAG3004 1

IMAG3019 1

HI, Yea that was the first type of lock made and used, Ive later found out that my lock photo in the original post is the patent lock however the handle may have been added later or changed to my understanding.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Thread Information