Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Key from Syria

Default Key from Syria

I have a key that came from an antiquities dealer in Damascus Syria in 1965. It is number 7 in the document I attached. It has a visible seam all the way down the shank like it was cut out flat then rolled and sealed. Has anyone seen anything like this or have any idea how old it is?

Thanks! Milissa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Damascus Syria Letter1.gif   Damascus Syria Key9.JPG   Damascus Syria Key5.JPG   Damascus Syria Key 2.JPG  

Default Re: Key from Syria

I had the Key from Syria appraised and it came back at $300+. But no one knows how old it may be! I guess short of carbon dating I may never know. Oh well!

Carbon dating does'nt work on steel ...

I would take that appraisal with a pinch of salt, most antique dealers know nothing about locks and keys. I doubt any key collector would pay that kind of money for a key like that, maybe but I doubt it very much.

Very interesting key.

It may be a hunch, but an interesting scenario, is that your key, might have been made in a prisoner of war or consentration camp. Looks hand made!

Worth checking out german locks from the 2nd world war to see if the key matches any from that period.

Good luck.
    Russell

Thread Information