Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique Safe with Gold Tumblers

I have a friend that has an antique floor safe with solid gold tumblers. It still works and is made of steel or cast iron. The wheels are cast iron and it stands about 3 feet tall. He is wanting to know approx value.

Default reply: Antique Safe with Solid Gold Tumblers

I think the people here will need a little more info. Pictures would help, as would brand name, or any other info. What type of lock is it? How do you know the tumblers are gold and not brass?

They do not tarnish and they are a much brighter color than brass you cannot hear a click when it falls into place i am new to forums and can't seem to get pic to upload
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Default re

Can you get inside it? Could you photograph the tumblers? I can't say for sure what brand that safe is, but it doesn't really look like anything special. It isn't in very good shape either. If the lock really does have gold tumblers I suspect it would be worth something. You don't usually hear clicks though.

Cincinnati safe & lock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Sorry that is saw dust on them as it was in a woodworking shop

Default re

Thanks for the pictures. Forgive me, but I still don't think the tumblers are made out of gold. Brass won't tarnish much if not exposed to anything, and gold would be extremely expensive. I don't think your friend's safe is rare or valuable. Hopefully someone with more safe experience will show up, and give you a more accurate estimate than I could.

Well you're partly right about the gold, only it's not solid. Several lock makers used a gold wash on their brass lock parts and cases. Doug

If the tumblers had been solid gold then wear would have been an issue? Depending on the alloy of course.

Thread Information