Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Default Houston in the blind!

Hey guys!

I know it has been about three years now since my last message, but here I am again :)

To your surprise I can tell you that I have sold my door to a vault door guy in my country and I used the money for our move to a new place where I got my new job as an editor for school physics literature. I am very thankful for this and now I have a much bigger work shop and we now live in a very small village, just as we dreamed of :) My machine ensemble grew a bit as well.

So what now? Well, as you might have guessed, I am working on a new door, where all the mistakes and errors I made on the former one are corrected and design flaws are eliminated. The CFR door will again work as a guide model. This time I will focus much more on the technical aspects such as the RCV and the whole locking mechanism. I want to have a quite more detailed model this time.

Currently there is some 316 Steel on the way for smaller parts, such as pressure bar pieces and stuff.
    There are other pieces I wanna make out of 316 but most of the door will rather be C45 (that is a mild tool steel) or even cast steel.

This will be a long process of building and constructing the door and I will learn very much again. I want to share this process with you from the beginning this time and I hope it will be interesting :)

So I hope to hear from you guys and I will keep you updated.

Cheers from Germany

Maik

Great, I can't wait to see the progress! Please send pics

Default Basics

Hey thanks @VaultDoors for your friendly reply :)

I just wanted to anounce a few technical measures about the new door:

- Frame: 120mm thick and 570mm by 630mm (length x height)
    - Door: 120mm plate thickness and 300mm diameter
    - Material: Mostly tool steel I guess, but some parts out of 316 (I guess that would be V2A in Germany)

It will be a plug door. The door plate is a single part, so not three or four plates put together, but a single one this time. And the frame is also a single plate.

The whole thing will be mounted into a (this time) very sophisticated furniture.

I think pics will be put up soon (at least of the smaller stuff of the door).

Cheers from Germany

Maik

Default Things are changing for the better :)

Hey folks!

It has been a while since I wrote here and last year I told you about my plans for building a new vault door. In January I got a new job and we are moving to a new home at the moment
    My workshop is moving as well and I took the chance to sell my old lathe. We had good years together, but I always wanted a lathe with more functions and more possibilities. So I bought my "new" lathe and with it I rented a new workshop! The new lathe is much bigger than the old one, is more precise and it is ideal for vault door models in the size I want them to be.
    This whole process of moving my workshop, getting the new job and finding a new living place slowed down the progression with the actual model door, as you can imagine.

Anyways I want to you being a part of all this and so I also wanted to show you my new workshop and the new lathe

So here are a few impressions (it is still quite crowdy, but in the next weeks this will - so God will - change):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210510_163524.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	22621
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210418_171618.jpg   IMG_20210418_171843.jpg   IMG_20210510_163508.jpg   IMG_20210510_163533.jpg  

Thread Information