Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey guys :)

@VaultDoors: I checked out your links, but they dont work :( Maybe you posted the wrong destination?

I just wanted to add some more pictures which include the building process and the status quo :)

Some words to my machines:

Im using a Liebert&Gürtler lathe from 1957 with a width of 1m and max. diameter of 36cm (max. 50cm if you take out the bridge). The lathe weights about 1.2 tons, and i also have a milling attachement for it, to actually do some milling work.
    Moreover i have a G. Wischeroop drill press (about 100 years old) that weights half a ton and can drill holes in stainless steel up to 40mm and cut threads up to M33x3 (that means big :D ). I have a thread cutting attachement for this drill press and that makes this machine extremely versatile. I also use a big dividing head to make the holes for the bolts of my vault door, or other sorts of circular arranged series of holes in metal or wood. In my actual vault door i have 15 bolts installed with a diameter of 28.7mm and the holes are 29mm. Because i dont have a borehead to get a real smooth finish inside the holes, the 0.3mm play remain. Currently its not possible for me to reduce that amount of play... A 29mm reamor would have done the job, but i didnt get any...

So you see, to build a vault door out of steel, heavy equipment is needed :) You find some video material of the construction process of the vault door on youtube. Check out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuI4...rJMMomz-DDBwPM
    where the holes for the bolts are getting bored. Or in this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ajr...rJMMomz-DDBwPM
    where one part of one hinge is getting turned on the lathe. I dont put much effort in editing the videos i make. I just let the camera roll for some hours and load all that stuff just right on youtube. But it is in german anyways so yea... Enjoy the pictures :D

Well yea so here are some pictures :)

Best regards

Maik
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SANY0011.JPG   SANY0012.JPG   SANY0017.JPG   SANY0026.JPG   SANY0016.JPG  

SANY0058.JPG   SANY0006.JPG  
    Last edited by RiemannHypothesis; 16-05-15 at 08:06 PM.

Thread Information