Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Left anchor point

Hey thanks Huw, I really appreciate it I am really looking forward to see further progress on your model!
    Tomorrow I will continue my work on the gears for the pressure bar and after that I can finally finish the left anchor point, that you can see in the photos below. I also highlighted the contour of the part I have to machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0176.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	567.6 KB 
ID:	17211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0175.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	573.4 KB 
ID:	17212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0174.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	629.0 KB 
ID:	17213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0173.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	621.2 KB 
ID:	17214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0172.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	606.3 KB 
ID:	17215

Cheers

Maik

Wow every time I see these parts I'm amazed at the size of it all- probably take me 3 months to do that with an 8mm cutter taking 0.1mm cuts on my little mill! TBH I'd struggle to even fit it on my mill...
    Keep it up Maik it's going great, you really are getting the best out of having those large machines- superb stuff

Default Milling and stuff

Hey Huw,

thanks for your warm words :)

You really should introduce your workshop in your thread - I am curious
    I can do milling only on my lathe with my milling attachement... One day I can hopefully buy a real milling machine :D But that is some years in the future :)

Back to the workshop

Maik

Same for me Maik, I call it my 'little mill' but it's actually an old Hobbymat MD65 Lathe that I've permanently set-up for horizontal milling. You get used to it after a while, doing everything sideways instead of upright on a vertical mill.

My workshop is only two and a bit metres square!! Everything is crammed in so I'm not gifted with plenty of working space.

My old workshop was many times the size, in fact the area I had purely for heat work- welding and brazing was about 3 times the size of my entire workshop now. I used to do quite a bit of quite heavy fabrication and restoration work back then which meant a lot of dirty gritty grinding work and welding, certainly couldn't do it now.
    Back then we had acres of space and about 17 or 18 machines in the old workshop, now I'm down to 6!

Huw

Well, youve experienced it yourself. Times change and - who knows - maybe youll have a bigger workshop some day?
    Im quite certain I cant keep my workshop the way it is right now, too much uncertainty regarding my job etc.
    So what is your job nowadays?

Just to give you a bit motivation for your door: I worked on the pressure gears today. I couldnt finish it, since there is still much work to do, but I had to see what it looks like on my door, since I am an impatient guy
    The gears got some upgrades, a bigger handwheel (100mm in diameter, 45mm wide) and a cool curved middle piece. The handles for the wheel are missing yet. Here you go:

Name:	SANY0181.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	609.5 KB 
ID:	17238

The rest of the door is disassembled at the moment because of further works on it.

Cheers

Maik

Here are some photos of the remote viewer in its current state of progress. It is the next side project, after I finished the front of the door.

Name:	SANY0183.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	569.6 KB 
ID:	17243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0184.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	622.6 KB 
ID:	17244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0185.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	554.0 KB 
ID:	17245

Cheers

Maik

Brilliant- looks a nice layout and configuration on the remote viewer and a great finish on the component parts Maik- another big thumbs up from me VERY impressive.

Maik I forgot to mention about corrosion, yours never seems to show any signs of even minor speckles on the steel, have you treated it with something? It's always a headache and an ongoing battle for me with anything in ordinary mild steel.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 15-03-17 at 05:47 PM.

Hey Huw

Yeah I have no issues regarding corrosion and my assumption is that this is because of the surface finish. I sanded all surfaces and many of them are polished afterwards. The "real" doors are also very delicate regarding corrosion yet they normally should not do so.

Maybe in the evening I can post new pics from the pressure gear

Cheers

Maik

Quote Originally Posted by RiemannHypothesis View Post
    Hey Huw

Yeah I have no issues regarding corrosion and my assumption is that this is because of the surface finish. I sanded all surfaces and many of them are polished afterwards.
    So far alls okay, but it's still early days tbh Maik.
    You're right in that sanding and polishing helps a lot, but it doesn't stop it unfortunately, it only slows it down.

Hopefully you wont have any real problems unless there's a change with the moisture or condensation in the air, if you moved it to a new location or changed flat for example. Even then it'd be worth getting a de-humidifier and running it 24/7 if it comes to it- we've had them for years- worth their weight in gold and pretty cheap to run.

You've invested that much that perhaps its worth considering a treatment like Renaissance wax for the long term. Unless you don't mind stripping it all down and re-doing it every so often- a lot of work but it'd probably be quite enjoyable tbh!

Anyway lets see the latest pics please...

Thread Information