Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Hey guys :)

I had a day off and so i spent some hours in my workshop to build my remote combination viewer :) The good news is, that i have now all the raw parts and some of them got machined today. I think this thing will look epic :D I'm not sure yet but i have the impression that i could make both the door and the remote combo viewer water proof... If that works, it would be nice, if not, it still would be nice :D

Best regards

Maik

Default Here are some new pictures :)

Well guys, i spent some time in my workshop, cut many threads, got the lathe rollin for some hours, and so on... And since my design for the remote combo viewer has been finished some days ago, i got my fire on will to start building it :)

I wanted the combo viewer to be heavy and stark, and it will be that way :D

Im now round about half the way of the building process.

Best regards

Maik
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0855.JPG   IMG_0856.JPG   IMG_0857.JPG   IMG_0858.JPG   IMG_0859.JPG  

It's looking good Maik

Thanks mate!

Im looking forward to continuing my work on monday evening :)

Greets

Maik

Looking forward to seeing more- theres some sizey chunks of steel you've machined there for it! What have you planned for the combination lock positioning on the remote viewer- will it be 'on the side' of the housing like the Cleveland Fed, as the spindle drive through the frame will then meet the dial at 90*- I'm guessing you'd go for bevel gears though but they're a nightmare to cut- are you cutting your own? Over the years Ive made a few small spur gear sets, but only the one beveled gear a long while ago, to mesh with a larger crown gear I already had.
    It was sheer luck I had a cutter with the right profile angles, as they cost a fortune and for me that makes it prohibitive for a one-off job. Lucky I had that one and it turned out the setting up for the angles proved harder than indexing and making the cuts!
    Beveled gears aren't easy to get hold of in small sizes though, even more so if you want them both on a 1:1 ratio as most have different face angles which means you can't just use 2 crown gears as the face angles are often different Between crown and pinion.

Thinking about it though, and seeing what you've made so far there's no reason why you couldnt put the combination lock on the front of the housing, so the spindle goes directly through the frame, like a conventional combo set-up except your spindle will go straight through the frame instead of the front of the door- would still be a remote combo viewer and it'd make things a lot more straightforward without the need for gearing and intersecting drive spindles. Keep us updated..

Yoo :)

The RCV will be positioned in a way that the spindle for the 16th bolt (thats what i call the bolt that is controlled entirely by the RCV) is in correct height. The 16th bolt is on the horizontal diameter of the door and it locks the door and it blocks the gear of the main handwheel which controls the 15 other bolts. So it has a double function: If somebody cracks the main handwheel and the 15 bolts, theres still one (thicker) bolt left (the 16th), which is independent of the whole door :)

The RCV has a direct spindle connection to the combination lock and the 16th bolt, so yes, this will avoid any complex gear mechanisms :)

I oversized the RCV, because it doesnt matter AND it looks cool :D It became way more stable and massive than i thought it would, but i personally really like it.

Here are some new pictures:

Yesterday i built the second unit :) Now the most difficult work is done :)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0861.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by RiemannHypothesis View Post
    Yoo :)

The RCV will be positioned in a way that the spindle for the 16th bolt (thats what i call the bolt that is controlled entirely by the RCV) is in correct height. The 16th bolt is on the horizontal diameter of the door and it locks the door and it blocks the gear of the main handwheel which controls the 15 other bolts. So it has a double function: If somebody cracks the main handwheel and the 15 bolts, theres still one (thicker) bolt left (the 16th), which is independent of the whole door :)

The RCV has a direct spindle connection to the combination lock and the 16th bolt, so yes, this will avoid any complex gear mechanisms :)

I oversized the RCV, because it doesnt matter AND it looks cool :D It became way more stable and massive than i thought it would, but i personally really like it.

Here are some new pictures:

Yesterday i built the second unit :) Now the most difficult work is done :)
    Aha I see now! That's brilliant- I was a bit confused at first but Ive read over a few times and fully understand what you're doing now- that's a great way of doing it, and you've given it your own unique design. It's looking great and 'chunky' definitely rules on a door like that! I bet the RCV alone is getting pretty heavy as it grows. Great stuff I'm enjoying seeing it

Thanks man!

Because of my infinite impatience i decided to clamp the whole thing to the door frame, just to get a look how it will look later :)

Yes the RCV weighs about 20kilogram, so about 40 pounds, and there is still the handwheel and another part missing.

Here are some pictures of the setup. Because of the lens effect of the camera it looks a little oversized, but in natura the size fits the design :)

Best regards

Maik
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0865.JPG   IMG_0864.JPG   IMG_0863.JPG   IMG_0866.JPG  

... and im going to have some spare time later, and so i can continue my work :) I already made a handwheel for the RCV and a dialer, but i have to do some modifications...

Wow seeing those pictures gives an indication of just how big the whole door and frame is. The RCV looks great on there and I love the 4th photo with the door slightly open- looks amazing from that angle Maik

Thread Information