Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

VaultDoors, you are to be commended for such a good job at compiling this information. And to think all this time I thought you and Wylk were just prepping yourselves for that "one big bank job". This work should be moved to it's own thread so it does not get buried here. Doug

Hey guys :)

Thank you for your kind words, im really honored :)

@Doug: So that means, the remote combination viewer is connected with the combination lock that is located inside the door near the floor?
    Oh yea, please make LOTS of photos, with flash light and without :)

@VaultDoors: Thanks again for all these informative papers and presentations! I looked it through, but to build a remote combo viewer, more information is needed i think... Pictures of the mechanisms could really reveal some necessary details!

Cheers!

Maik

The locks are not in the door, they are on the inside the vault mounted behind the door frame. That way there are no holes drilled through the door for lock spindles. The boltwork is also operated remotely from the door jamb, so no hole through the door face for bolt work operation. Primarily the idea being to limit nitro from being inserted down into the door.

Hey Maik, welcome to the Forum and what a project to start with I have to admit

Really interesting and I believe each and everyone here understands your desire

I believe that you and VaultDoors have a lot in common and should definitely get in touch! If you have any problems in understand his document or any particular vocabulary just let me know and I will translate them to you!

Best wishes from another German fella,

Adrian

Hey Adrian!

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Yea well, there are many questions regarding the mechanics of that remote combo viewer... I think ill spend some hours in my workshop, because i have a day off :)

Im planning (just because its possible...) to build two locking systems: One directly at the door, so the conventional method, with a four-number-combination lock, and the other would be the remote combo lock, also with a four-number-combination lock.

I often see two combination dials on the vault doors: Does that mean, you have to dial two codes with four numbers each?

See you later, guys :)

Maik

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    VaultDoors, you are to be commended for such a good job at compiling this information. And to think all this time I thought you and Wylk were just prepping yourselves for that "one big bank job". This work should be moved to it's own thread so it does not get buried here. Doug
    Thanks Doug! Hopefully, I'll get the chance to visit some of these remote combination viewer vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by RiemannHypothesis View Post
    ...but to build a remote combo viewer, more information is needed i think... Pictures of the mechanisms could really reveal some necessary details!
    You may want to ask one of our Toronto members to stop by One King West to get dimensions on the remote combo viewer. I know you are looking for internal workings but actual measurements will help with proportions.

Have you reviewed US Patent US2081316? It details two remote combo viewers that appear to have been used on the Pennsylvania Treasury vault.

Hey VaultDoors :)

Yes, i checked the papers earlier and they helped a lot to understand the mechanism. I think the only option i have, is to build a simplified version of it. But it will do the job. I already changed design plans on the vault door, so that it actually will get a very nice and massive pressure bar and the only locking mechanism will be the remote one. The real difficulty is the demanded precision for all parts of the door: The hinges have to be perfectly parallel in the xz- and yz-plane. Also the pressure bar has to be parallel to the door surface and to the xy-plane. Otherwise nothing will work... Furthermore the dial indicator has to be very precise, otherwise you will dial the wrong code. I think this will be really tricky :D

Have a nice day :)

I found a few more pics of the Industrial Trust Bank vault a.k.a. The Superman Building in Rhode Island. The side view shows the bolt actuating pins but there is another pair of smaller pins/buttons above them. Does anyone know what these are?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Industrial Trust - Superman Bldg4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	13841 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Industrial Trust - Superman Bldg2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	13839 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Industrial Trust - Superman Bldg3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	13840 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Industrial Trust - Superman Bldg3 - Pins.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	13842

There Woolworth building vault also has a second set of pins. The bottom pin is connected to the (non-existent) time lock but the top pin does not appear to be connected to anything... There is a smaller diameter pin attached to a locking bolt but it does not appear to be attached to the top (larger diameter) pin on the outside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woolworth Vault.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	13843 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woolworth Vault2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	13844

It looks like 2 different timelocks were used on that door which would explain the rods that extent that far. The one that doesn't go anywhere may have been for a bolt detent (holdback) feature.

Thread Information