Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Hello from Germany!

Hello everyone!

I am a 29 year old christian student of mathematics and physics, i live in germany and i have been interested in vaults and safes since i was 14 years old (+/- a year). Im mainly interested in the big round vault doors from the 20th century but i also like the smaller bank safes from Mosler, Diebold and others from that time.
    My hobbies are working with metal and wood, i have been a drummer for 13 years now, im also interested in the cello but i dont play much, i am a private teacher for maths, physics and chemistry (and sometimes english...) and, most important for this forum, i am currently working on a self made vault door in the style of the vault doors mentioned above. The scale is a little smaller of course, but the door plus frame weighs about 300kg and is completely made of steel. Im mainly using a lathe and a large drill press and a big indexing head for the works. I can show details if you guys wish so :)

Well the reason for my coming here is first that i hope to gain some knowlegde about vaults and safes but also that there are some people, who are willing to answer some questions about remote combination viewers, locking bolt systems and pressure bar designs :)

Best regards!

Maik

Default Well here are some pictures :)

Yea i almost forgot :)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SANY0056.JPG   SANY0049.JPG   SANY0052.JPG  

Welcome Maik, you'll feel at home on here
    wow your model vault is a beauty- makes the largest ones I've made (about 10 inch diameter/25cm) look like toys! It's very impressive, 300 kilos is a serious amount of weight for a model! what's the diameter of the door?

congratulations on a beautiful piece of work! I'm sure that between everyone on here you'll hopefully get answers to all your questions.
    Now you've introduced yourself, it's worth posting your model pictures on the safe and vault board under a new title, as it'll probably get much more views over there.
    I know everyone will want to have a look

Hey thank you very much for your friendly reply :)

The diameter of the door is 34cm (so about 13.3 Inches), and its thickness is 12cm (4.7 Inches), that includes the frame for the bolts, so the secure thickness is about 8cm (3 Inches). Because i really like big hinges, those on my door got a little oversized, but i got inspired by the cleveland federal reserve bank vault and by the vault door from One King West.

The door is still under construction, because the inner frame of the door is still missing, but i already bought raw material for it :) Because of my studies at university i have to wait with further constructions till July... But i am planning on building a remote combination viewer... still dont have a clue how the thing works, but i really like these things and because i want the door to be authentic, it is a must-have for me :D

Because i have not much money, i cant build the door out of really good material (such as V2A stainless steel, or something similar). I have construction steel and tool steel only... Some brass parts are also included, like the handles.

Well yea i should post the pictures under a new title, thats a good idea!

What about your models?? Where can i find pictures of them? Do you have a thread about them?

Best regards!

Welcome!

I have a keen interest in remote combination viewer vaults. Check out Vault Door Anatomy, it has all the information I could find on remote combination viewers and is available in these formats:

Vault Doors (online gallery) may also be of interest: https://www.flickr.com/photos/canton...7639183617364/

I am not a locksmith/vault technician (just a vaultophile) but I would be happy to share my research and help answer any questions you may have.

Hey thank you very much for your help offering!

Yea, vaultophile is a proper name i think :D

Best regards

Maik

The links below got truncated, sorry about that. Try these:

Vault Door Anatomy:
    PowerPoint Show - images, active links, animations and videos
    Windows Media Video - images and animations
    PDF - images and active links
    Flickr - images only

Vault Doors - online gallery with all known remote combination viewer vaults

Thread Information