Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Making Key for Yale Model 873

I have this Yale Model 873 for a while as I have been looking for Yale Original key blank number 84. I do know that this blank is very hard to find. I know you all going to said they have flat steel blank but don't like idea of using it for an old padlock. I came up by using brass to make key for this lock. Took a lot of work by cutting and file it down to working key. Here what the key look like so far....Timothy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale Key Blank S3c.jpg   Yale Key Blank X1a.jpg   Yale Lock A1a.jpg   Yale Lock A2b.jpg  

Default Making Key for Yale Model 873

Here the second part as you will notice I did make another one...Timothy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale Model 873 YA3.jpg   Yale Model 873 YA1.jpg   Yale Model 873 YA4.jpg  

Nice job! They got much more character than flat steel and the brass means they'll just get better and better looking with age. I've always liked those bronze Yales, just sold a little inch and a quarter size one, an 823 I think it was. Always amazes me how many variations there are on them with the branding and markings etc, they've definitely got something about them that appeals.

Default Making key for Yale Model 873

Thank Max! Just wish could have an small mill machine to do this but that way too much to buy one. I guess it will be better way of doing the old way of how they make thing out of any metal. I know Lauren has make one on his drill press as he did a nice job. Don't know if he still on this forum. Just maybe he will post a picture of one..Timothy....

I think doing them by hand like you done is the best way to go on those blanks. I have to admit I rarely use my mill for making keyblanks and i would have done exactly the same as you on those Yales. A mills essential for many jobs, and great for long slotting, grooving jobs or shapes where it'd be difficult by hand, but I'd say shaping the bits on those keys is best done by hand the way you done them. Plus you can never do too much filing work because it makes you faster and better at it every time. Milling no matter how accurate always leaves the tool finish on the surface and something like those blanks would still need a lot of fine finishing by hand afterwards to get them how you want them.

Great job I think and it's always great to see old fashioned files and handwork instead of the usual 'I'll give it to my mate as he's got a CNC machine in work...'!

BTW for what it's worth if you do consider a mill, it's worth going by recommendations from someone who's got a particular one that you knows has been a good machine- 99% of the far eastern hobby machines out there now are so full of electronics and are more hassle than they're worth. it's common for many to go through a mother-board every year at £100 a time (over here), that's probably $150 or so your side of the pond.

Default Making Key for Yale 873

You are right about making key blank by file it. It surprise me as don't see too many Locksmith will do this as part of there job or hobby just for a fun of it. I really enjoy doing it as take fun out of trying to get it to work, to fit into the keyway until ready to impression the key. Very few people will ask me about it as I told them it not cheap making these home made key blank as some charge by hour of doing it. I have not done this to any other person padlock as only of whatever padlock I have. Thank for head-up..Timothy..

Default 873 padlock

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    I have this Yale Model 873 for a while as I have been looking for Yale Original key blank number 84. I do know that this blank is very hard to find. I know you all going to said they have flat steel blank but don't like idea of using it for an old padlock. I came up by using brass to make key for this lock. Took a lot of work by cutting and file it down to working key. Here what the key look like so far....Timothy....
    ilco 1 or 1n blanks will work 1 has a bow like the yale 1n has a round head

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    ilco 1 or 1n blanks will work 1 has a bow like the yale 1n has a round head
    Good find, looks like Ilco #1 = Old Yale #88 and #188 which is said to fit cast bronze lever-tumbler "standard" padlocks #853 Series 2" and #863 Series 2-1/4", see pdf of the entire Yale "standard" series of blanks from 1939 catalog attached. Ilco 1 is nickel plated brass and in price group 23 with a suggested dealer of $476.00/100, it has a "C" lead time which means it may be in stock in Rocky Mount; should this item be out of stock, extended lead times may occur.

Pete
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default yale 873

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Good find, looks like Ilco #1 = Old Yale #88 and #188 which is said to fit cast bronze lever-tumbler "standard" padlocks #853 Series 2" and #863 Series 2-1/4", see pdf of the entire Yale "standard" series of blanks from 1939 catalog attached. Ilco 1 is nickel plated brass and in price group 23 with a suggested dealer of $476.00/100, it has a "C" lead time which means it may be in stock in Rocky Mount; should this item be out of stock, extended lead times may occur.

Pete
    ilco catalog sec 2 p69 also I found the dl 191 is very close fit the #1 was 3.74 ea. and the #1n was the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    ilco catalog sec 2 p69 also I found the dl 191 is very close fit the #1 was 3.74 ea. and the #1n was the same price.
    That is Sec 2 Pg 69 of the old 2004 Ilco catalog, it's Sec 2 Pg 70-71 of the newer 2010 edition. DL191 is unknown, at least to me; who is the manufacturer?

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information