Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

rps20150810 101804 zpsydse0mjc 1

I copied the blank on a piece of steel and shaved away the sides. Used it as a tensor and picked the levers. Now the padlock is open. I think I can fit the key better this way, because the levers are locked in their correct position.
    Next step: carefully file the brass blank.

Cheers :)

rps20150810 200648 zpsqmlpuxs7 1

rps20150810 200816 zpsqd0bo1ir 1

I failed at impressioning the key. Twice.

The first time I filed the blank to fit the picked lock. I reached the point where I got no more marks and the key turned 180 degrees. I thought the key was ready, locked the padlock and tried to open it with the key, but unfortunately it didn't work.

I thought I filed down too much, so I filled the bittings with solder and tried to impression the closed lock.
    I failed again. I think I'll either disassemble the lock by removing the rivets, or I leave it without a key.

And now the good news: after all this practice I can pick it in seconds.

I'm very happy I disassembled the padlock. Now I have a working key. During my previous attempts I impressioned correctly the first and fourth levers, but filed the second and third too much.
    I started over with the last piece of brass I had, and filed carefully.
    One thing I noticed is that the uncut side of the blank interfere with the lever positions. I suspect I screw up the previous attempts because of this.

I took many pictures and will make a topic dedicated to this beautiful padlock. For now here is a picture of the working key, it's the first one.
    I noticed there is the number 858 punched inside the lock. Dunno if it's the model number or if it's the bittings code.

rps20150811 124441 zpsycxuwbai 1

Default Making Key for Yale Model 873

Keep this in mind as some of these padlock do have code number stamp. One side will be letter and other side will be number. Can find these code are in REED code book. Like I said before it going to take time just to know where mark at to get the right cut....Timothy....

Thank you for your suggestions Timothy, to stop derailing this thread I've posted a new one about my padlock.

Thread Information