Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Making Key for Yale Model 873

WOW! I can't believe for a box of 100 going to cost $476.00. "BUT" in long run still can make money out of it by charging $3.00 dollars or up per keys.....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    WOW! I can't believe for a box of 100 going to cost $476.00. "BUT" in long run still can make money out of it by charging $3.00 dollars or up per keys.....Timothy.....
    Accredited Lock Supply web catalog show both Ilco 1 and 1N as stock items @ $4.76 ea., minimum order $25.00. Only way to verify stock is to call.
    http://www.acclock.com/

Pete Schifferli

Thank Pete will check into it.....Timothy.....

For those of you want to know what the Ilco Yale blank 1 and 1N look like here it what they are. Also add Ilco 2N....Timothy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ilco Yale 1 & 1N Key Blank.jpg   Ilco Yale 2N Key Blank.jpg  

Nice job on those keys Timothy.

I found a similar padlock, locked and without a key. I hope it still works, because the shackle pin has been driven out, probably to remove the lock from whateverit was attached to. Then it was hammered back in. It's pretty loose but it seems OK.

I'm trying to make a key too. Was it difficult to impression it? Did you smoke the blank? Any suggestion?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-08-02 07.39.07_y.jpg  

The answer would be yes or no. The reason saying both as what kind of key blank using. If using steel blank a little hard to see mark on key. This is why I use brass key because it show more mark on it. It will take time just to do it the first time. Just have to do a little at a time. This was not my first one I did as I do have other in differ size...Timothy...

Thanks, it makes sense. I'll use brass. I'm going to make a home made blank based on a flat piece of brass. Something like yours but not so good looking.
    This is not the first key I impression, but I'm not an expert with lever locks.

I'll keep you updated :)

Just remember one thing as impression this lock do it lighting as the blank can bent easy. Just do it one step at a time so you can get the idea of what you looking for....Timothy.....

2015080620221440 ok zps5nif9yln 1

2015080620224915 ok zpsfe5spwji 1

Since I hadn't a reasonably sized piece of brass handy, I salvaged an old broken cabinet hinge and filed it down until it was flat. Then I inserted it in the keyway and filed down the tip to fit in the hole at the end of the keyway. Then smoked it with a candle to better see the marks and found three wards. I filed the three positions a little, cleaned the blank and took the first picture. The bottom part of the picture shows the marks I got while refining these three wards cuts.
    I repeated the process a few times until I got what I think it's a proper key blank. It enters the keyway, turns almost 90 degrees and allows me to feel the actuator springiness. As you can see from the second pictures, the levers leave marks on their positions. I've circled those in red on both sides of the blank.

Before I go on I think I'll copy this blank to another brass rod just in case I screw up. I hope to find one hour to finish this first prototype key during the weekend.

Cheers

Femurat---- Good job so far as what you did the right thing. As for getting brass should check around your area for Scrap metal or machine shop. Some will give it free just for small piece of brass. I use to get my from a friend working in machine shop as for now he retire....Timothy...

Thread Information