Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unusual 2-tiered Bramah Mordan type key with 19 slots and solid pin

Here's an unusual one- almost 4 inches long with two tiers. Main stem has 11 slots and the end one has 8. Its pretty large compared to a modern Bramah or even a Cotterill. Does anyone know what type of end caps the nested or tiered keys had? I think it was oldlock who kindly posted pictures of standard Cotterill caps going back a while, but was wondering what style they followed for the unusual tiered keys.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	999.5 KB 
ID:	13809 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	46 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	13810 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	41 
Size:	970.4 KB 
ID:	13811 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	56 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	13812

Is that a modern key you have made Max ?

The only UK maker that made a 2 tier key that I've seen is Mappins Patent and I've never seen a dust cap for one.

I knew it wouldn't fool you oldlock! Yes you're 100% bang-on, it's another of my creations. Can't even claim 'vintage' for this one as its only 2 days old! Needs a bit of time to tarnish now and get a bit of patination in the flutes etc.

Interesting that about Mappins, so are tiered, stacked, nested, whatever you want to call them, Bramahs in the mythical ranks? I've heard of references to them and assumed them to be extremely rare, perhaps limited down to a few old prototypes or exhibition locks, but have never found out anymore. If they don't exist then I guess that explains it!

I think my next one might be a copy of the 1787 exhibition key, incidentally the picture on your website has got to be the highest resolution one out there, so that's much appreciated as there's not many pics around of what is such a famous lock. Only ever see the key from that one angle so I assume the slots continue in a spiral around the pipe to the farthest point at the tip, and the centre pin is just a guide pin as on the one I made here.

I would lay very very long odds that any such keys of Bramah type would be continental. I've seen a lot of english bramah (and bramah type) and there has never been a whisper of any such.

As an aside - bramah keys made of brass are very scarce, I think I've seen more solid gold keys than brass ones !

Wow! That is simply beautiful!

Your work never ceases to amaze me, and I'm sure many other members in addition to myself who always enjoy seeing it.

Out of interest, roughly how long did it take you to fabricate that?

Keep up the amazing work,

...Mark

Default wow

[QUOTE=MaxVaultage;20654]Here's an unusual one- almost 4 inches long with two tiers. Main now thats what i call a nice key. Is it off a safestem has 11 slots and the end one has 8. Its pretty large compared to a modern Bramah or even a Cotterill. Does anyone know what type of end caps the nested or tiered keys had? I think it was oldlock who kindly posted pictures of standard Cotterill caps going back a while, but was wondering what style they followed for the unusual tiered keys.
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	77 
Size:	999.5 KB 
ID:	13809 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	46 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	13810 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	41 
Size:	970.4 KB 
ID:	13811 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	56 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	13812[/QUkOTE] What a tease. For a second i was in safe key heaven until oldlock sussed you out.. I woulda been bidding for that one on eBay and i'm sure quite a few others would too. I dont really pay much attention to patina because most of my buys are covered in rust and they get polished anyhow. Its a good job your honest Max cos i was green enough to be fooled. Nice one.

Really nice one Max, now I guess you'll have to make a lock to go along with it. I would think an end cap would have a hole in it allowing it to slip over the pin and fit up against the tube. Is there any evidence on how they were cutting Bramah keys in the late 1700's? Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Is there any evidence on how they were cutting Bramah keys in the late 1700's? Doug
    Exactly the same way they do today (albeit not with a motorised machine).

You nearly got me there

Very nice piece and well done!

Adrian

Oldlock, sorry but I do not know how Bramah keys are cut today. After the painfully tedious method of hand filing several keys, I obtained a small milling machine and a rotary table. Using a tiny end mill I have been able to cut them successfully. I am aware Maudsley made numerous machines for the manufacture of the Bramah locks and keys, but have found nothing regarding the actual pre- 1800 machines he designed. Doug

Thread Information