Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Unusual cast warded keys with star section pipe

Would be great if anyone can throw any light on these unusual cast keys. I've seen them crop up on eBay in the past, but sellers never seemed to know what they are from.

My guess would be padlock, but wondered if anyone knows for sure.

i can't imagine the front case of whatever it fits having the star section cut in it, as the section of the stem which turns would then only be guided by the end points. My guess would be the keys fitted into some sort of guide with the star shape cast in, a bit a like curtain or bolt thrower? Very crude keys but they've got me curious..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	885.2 KB 
ID:	13784 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	807.4 KB 
ID:	13785

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Would be great if anyone can throw any light on these unusual cast keys. I've seen them crop up on eBay in the past, but sellers never seemed to know what they are from.

My guess would be padlock, but wondered if anyone knows for sure.

i can't imagine the fro.forget to report the outcome case of whatever it fits having the star section cut in it, as the section of the stem which turns would then only be guided by the end points. My guess would be the keys fitted into some sort of guide with the star shape cast in, a bit a like curtain or bolt thrower? Very crude keys but they've got me curious..
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	885.2 KB 
ID:	13784 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	807.4 KB 
ID:	13785
    Neat looking keys Max. Ive looked at lots of keys over the last four years or so and have never came across any keys like this. However i have seen a brass padlock with the star like escutcheon, but alas there were no keys to go with it. Best of luck with your research and don't forget to report the outcome.

Thread Information