Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Price

Default George Price

I've just acquired this George Price key and wondered if the triangle and letter G on the reverse might signify a date or something? Or is it just an emblem Price used? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Well, err, I'm not even going to take a guess Warren lol, but it's a cracking key and I can't say I've seen a GP like that with such a wide bit and short stem. It looks exceptionally fine fluting as well, very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    Well, err, I'm not even going to take a guess Warren lol, but it's a cracking key and I can't say I've seen a GP like that with such a wide bit and short stem. It looks exceptionally fine fluting as well, very nice!
    Yes its a nice one max. I've paid 2 and 3 times as much for mediocre keys.not a patch on this. That's one of the good an bad things about buying from the look of a picture, sometimes they're better in the flesh but I've also bought what looks exceptional only to be dissapointed. I normally go for the rustiest cruddiest looking ones annd things can only get better. But thanks for the heads up on it, your a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    I've just acquired this George Price key and wondered if the triangle and letter G on the reverse might signify a date or something? Or is it just an emblem Price used? Thanks
    Could it be Masonic?
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    Could it be Masonic?
    BBE.
    Probably so, see link below noting: The title page of the Treatise. The drawing on it is full of Masonic symbolism.
    http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Muse...g/priceg03.htm

Pete Schifferli

Note also the name plate and escutcheon used on Price's "Treble Patent" safes with the triangle-G in the center --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trebleplate.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	13727

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Note also the name plate and escutcheon used on Price's "Treble Patent" safes with the triangle-G in the center --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trebleplate.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	13727
    I think you guys may well be right. There's actually a lodge in Croydon England named the George Price freemason lodge. A bit of research shows he was heavily into freemasonry until he became a "Christian"? I wonder if this was after the safe explosion that killed the young boy. It would certainly be a reason for feelings of guilt.

Interesting. I'll have to ask around at the Masonic library next time I am downtown. I bet they have a book on George Price.
    I've never seen a triangle-G used for anything, just the square and compasses.

It seems obvious when you say it now...but in all these years I have never put the 2 and 2 together before, nor heard anyone mention it!

Same for me, it's never registered before and I'd never made what now seems an obvious connection.
    From what little I know the triangle is the most widely used form of shape in Masonic symbolism, isn't it a triangle or pyramid representation with some sort of 'overseeing' eye on American dollar bills? At a guess GP's triangle and addition of the central 'G' on the escutcheons/badges was probably his own discreet little twist on his marque.
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 13-05-15 at 11:25 PM. Reason: ipad corrective text again lol

Thread Information