Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: which safe

Default which safe

Its a question that will probably have a few different answers but at the moment i have a GB Paris safe its approx 20 16 20 .IT as a stuv lock fitted and weighs around 200 kilos Ime thinking of another safe some thing a bit older may be 60s. not old i know but i want it to be secure against physical attack And from some of the older safe it looks like it would be very easy to cut in to with a chisel or to destroy with a sledge hammer . OR have i got it wrong as when i have inspected the stuv it looks vulnerable to being punched out to me. Or would just break through and jam the lock please say it would . So then it needs to be similar size and weight whats the suggestions

Default Re: which safe

Hi, in response to your question.
    GB Paris, not the best quality. Generally low grade concrete filled. Can fit an alternative lock 'Maure' to secure, better than the STUV.

Alternative makes are Chubb, SMP, Dudley, or even the Burton Torino range.

Any questions, sent me a message via this site
    Cheers
    Russell

If I were to have, say a 60's or 70's safe, then you might want to go for an ex jewellers SLS, Tann or Chubb safe. However, buyer beware!

Most Insurers, with the advice of certain manufacturers (no names mentioned) will de-rate & de-value the product, very much like buying a car. You get a well made grade 4 safe, that beats a modern safe hands down, and whoops, 5 years down the line, you cannot use it for diddly squat. Then you have to go back to your original modern safe.

Oh, please dont use the GB safe... They break rather easily.

Look forward to your comments.
    Russell

thank you for the replies Ive not yet got another safe but have one in mind. I thought the gb did not look up to a physical attack say the casing seems a bit on the thin side.I think its about 3mm thick how thick is the casing on say a 70 chubb small size safe? And how is the concrete different in the safes construction ? PS its really only needed for document which are little value but being interest to me i would like the best. t

A 70's vintage Chubb or Chatwood-Milner is going to knock the spots off any modern ' equivalent ' . The locks are better made, the steel is thicker, the concrete fill is denser. I would look for a Chubb Leamington or Office Quality and it will be more than adequate and nowhere near as expensive as a modern piece of crap.

interesting point Russell about insurance ratings and a point I'm sure many people will be unaware of. point taken on the chubb and chatwood , on the few safes Ive come across a Lott look very vulnerable to me and even though Ive no experience off safe work i would feel reasonably confidant of opening through it would be destructive.

Chubb Leamington
    Forget it. Low grade £2k rated, not fire resistant. Chubb lips or 6k75 lock. nice lock, buggered if you can get gen spars as Chubb have run out.

Would rather you go for a modern Rosengren Euro Citizen safe c/w RKL lock. Unpickable & 60 min, NT017 tested for paper. Also a hard safe to drill open. If you want to see one, i've an almost minter in our showroom with freeby Data media insert.

Send me an e to discuss
    Cheers
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Stoner
    Chubb Leamington
    Forget it. Low grade £2k rated, not fire resistant. Chubb lips or 6k75 lock. nice lock, buggered if you can get gen spars as Chubb have run out.

Would rather you go for a modern Rosengren Euro Citizen safe c/w RKL lock. Unpickable & 60 min, NT017 tested for paper. Also a hard safe to drill open. If you want to see one, i've an almost minter in our showroom with freeby Data media insert.

Send me an e to discuss
    Cheers
    Russell
    Russell, your information is not accurate. Litchfield 3 k rating, maybe 2 if you had a higher risk. Leamington is 6K. Also the point I was driving at was general build quality & quality of materials & locks VS the modern low grade junk ! Also while not bearing a paper label it does offer a degree of fire resistance.

Thread Information