Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Hey ya'll...I'm new here & need a

My name is Ashley & I'm new to this site and the key world.To begin,my sweet & mischievous golden retriever dug a key ring up in the yard a few weeks back,since then I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to find any research on antique keys that I can. I stumbled upon this website during this time and it seems to be more comprehensive than anything I have found. I have no knowledge of antique keys and need some help.I'm interested in all aspects any knowledge that can be offered from identification of material,types,names,historical dating, current value, care,preservation,etc...! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Default Need a little help!

Still trying to get a handle on this website,but going to try to add the pictures of my keys.....here goes....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

I would think the key ring itself might be easier to date, than the keys. I know we still carry some of those rings at my shop, but I'm afraid I don't know how old they are.
    I'm sure someone else on here will be of more help

Would you mind giving me any background about the key ring itself since you are familiar with the type? I'm just curious in the history and trying to piece together any information has been so much fun for me. I would greatly appreciate anything else you could tell me.

Larger keys are for doors, smaller are for padlocks or cabinet locks. Iron keys. Beyond that they are too far gone to say more.

I've had so much fun with these keys! Personally,to me it's the fun of solving the mystery!i have soaked them in vinegar and removed LOTS of rust ,should I continue to work off the rust?I'm certainality not expecting to use,rather,just finding out a story behind them is my favorite part. Also is there a historical time reference that Could help me place them? I'm just excited so I hope this does not annoy.
    Is there a certain book or site that I should research to get more answers?

Quote Originally Posted by Smash23434 View Post
    I've had so much fun with these keys! Personally,to me it's the fun of solving the mystery!i have soaked them in vinegar and removed LOTS of rust ,should I continue to work off the rust?I'm certainality not expecting to use,rather,just finding out a story behind them is my favorite part. Also is there a historical time reference that Could help me place them? I'm just excited so I hope this does not annoy.
    Is there a certain book or site that I should research to get more answers?
    Hi Smash, really pleased to hear the enjoyment your dog has found for you. It's nice to see your enthusiasm. I also.collect keys and it's very addictive once you get going. The drive to gain knowledge about their origin is refreshing whenever a new item is acquired. Thought I would show you my keyring that I keep my prison key collection on. But you may need a bigger handbag for it as it weighs in at a mere 3 kg.This was dug up when a car park was being made next to the Carlisle old jail. I don't really know anything about it other than where it was found. Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1429616827226.jpg   1429616746034.jpg   1429616905074.jpg   1429617047462.jpg  

Can you tell us what the tag says? I can't quite make it out from the pictures.

I think that the tag says something like "llavero of calif solid brass" and I note the tag is rather distinctive. While it seems to be old, it's not too terribly old. It looks like a ring and keys sold for decoration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	llavero.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	13642

A current eBay auction shows a similar ring: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-LLAV...item33a0afe14e

The company (Llavero of California) was incorporated in 1977 and dissolved in 1987: http://www.wysk.com/index/california...fornia/profile

Still, it looks like an interesting discovery, and a fun story. Sorry if I kicked the fun down a notch. But now we know more about the ring.

can you update the pics so we can see the tags so look them up give u some info

Those lever lock keys would appear to be part of a master key system. The same system or at least the same brand of locks.

Thread Information