Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Advice regarding removing time lock.

I am currently renovating door locks on a listed building that was formerly a Post Office (now in private hands) there is a wall safe with a time lock. The safe is open and we have the keys, the lock and mechanism works fine.
    The client has asked us if we can remove the time lock,I have explained that as long as it is not set then everything is fine,however he insists he would like it removed.
    The unit is made by Thomas Fox of London.
    Is the removal as simple as- back pan off and simply remove the unit. Any advice,pitfalls,things to look out for would be much appreciated.
    Have attached a couple of pics,sorry about the quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150410_094848.jpg   20150410_094903.jpg  

Hello davenutt, yes it's as simple as removing the back pan and the time lock.

If there's a quarter to half an inch of the timelock case projecting through the back of the pan, then the Top tip is to Remove the the frame trim surrounding the time lock first. They are a close fit around the timelock case and will catch if you don't, you need a bit of clearance around the timelock to remove the pan from the door, you might be lucky if it turns out to be an easy one, but most of those old Bates and Cox safes were a tight fit and were often distorted where inexperienced contractors had twisted and see-sawed them out.

Once the pans off, You might find it easier to remove the time lock bar from the boltwork instead. The time lock movements come out in a 'block' from the case, but contractors were never allowed to touch them full stop, as Thomas Fox always had the service contract and sealed them to both deter, and indicate tampering.

The threaded timelock bar should be fixed with large nuts, normally with tab washers flattened over the nut edge to prevent it working loose. Once slackened off you can unscrew it rendering the unit unlockable but leaving everything visually in place.

In fact if it's been out of service for some time but they've been using the safe, you might even be lucky and find its already been removed. I remember you are renovating the old Llanelli station Chubb, so you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Cheers mate, thats so helpfull, I'm reasonably ofait with safes and mechs but have never had oportunity to work on a time lock, as you rightly say, most are tightly governed as to who services them. Client has purchased the premises and is insistant that all door locks are refurbished as opposed to replacing, its a nice job so its great to be able to carry out his instructions re- removing the time lock.
    As an aside,where in Wales are you?

I'm in sunny Cardiff

If they're insisting on all the locks being kept original, then hope you don't encounter any Pickersgill Kayes- like a Chubb 3G110 castle deadlock but they had 4 lugs cast into the bolt throwers with matching flutes on the key pins to fit. They were a pain, why the PO didn't just use the Chubb (3G135 i think) Fortress instead I'll never know. Good luck with the safe you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Very sunny Llandovery hereLocks are mostly 1950s Union 6" warded horizontal sash mortise, all gummed up, broken springs, painted over face plates, couple bent bolts etc. sorted easily with a bit of bench work now all looking good. I will sort safe mech service and remove time lock next week,sure it will go well, thanks again.
    Dave.

Beautiful bit of Wales up there Dave. Used to go to Llyn Brianne quite often and explore around and about. Nice spot below the outflow from the dam at a tiny village called something like Rhandirmwyn.

Sounds like you had it easy on those PO locks, I would've expected a few worn out Castle Chubbs or at least old 114's with micro switches even on a sub office in Mid Wales- the alarm engineers used to wire them in as tight as they could so no-one else could get the locks out the edge of the door

good luck with it all mate

Slightly off topic so opologise to others.
    Rhandirmwyn, no more than 7 miles from us,a great place.

Not just a rural post office, this place was the main sorting office for the whole off southern Powys, closed down 12 years ago and largely unopened since. External doors were a mixture of Chubb 110s and some dodgy Union 4 lever things, new owner has reluctantly agreed that these should be replaced but has still requested that we service and clean them up. Not sure what he is going to do with them. Also been given 10 brass door shoot bolt pairs, knackered, springs, rivets missing etc, all from the same job, he wants them all sorted, no problem with dosh, just a real conservationalist. Nice to find a job like this,certainly beats the run of the mill mobile stuff.

There'll probably be a bankers/treasury grade 1A lurking somewhere if it was a main SO then, sounds an interesting one and a nice job to land. It's Great like you say when it's proper hands-on repair work like that and there's no problems with budget etc. Gotta love those jobs, Any excuse to dig out all the old stock and get the lathe and mill going...

Thread Information