Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Is this a "working" Detector lock?

I saw this lock which says that it is a Chubb Detector Lock. As I looked at it, I saw no "Detector" levers, and no way for the lever to "stick" in the overlifted position.

From these pictures, can anybody determine if this is a "real" working Detector lock? And perhaps explain how the Detector function actually works in this lock?

Thank You,
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chubb3.jpg   ChubbDetect.jpg   ChubbDetector.jpg  

That's a Chubb definitive detector lock, maybe the detector is broken, but cant see from this photo, take another picture perhaps looking at the levers from the other direction from the top, or simply show us the lock un-assembled. The bolt stump though does look 'doctored'!

Default I thought so...

The lock was offered for sale, so I can't get a better picture. I saw the modification to the bolt stump.

I guess I won't buy it. ;-(

Thank you for your reply. It was helpful.
    Paul

It looks familiar, I think I remember viewing it on eBay.

My immediate gut instinct was that it looked like it had been messed about.

Yeah, I saw that one but chose to avoid it, it has either a LOT of wear to the bolt stump or it has been doctored (as Brian put it) to get it back in working order possibly due to wear.

I have no doubt that the lock works but I'm pretty sure that the detector won't reset and if it does then it will be due to the altered bolt stump, the security of this piece is affected by the alterations, I wouldn't entrust it to protect with anything valuable.

Personally I think that it's too much trouble to try to repair it, there are plenty of good examples of the detector lock still out there for the taking so I chose to wait for another to come along, besides, it's not that old anyway.

Kit

Thread Information