Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Info needed- Howard street clock door lock-

Hi all, I am restoring a 17' tall E. Howard cast iron street clock, and the door to the base, which contains the clock movement, is locked with the lock seen here in the pictures- it has been butchered, unfortunately, and can be opened with a screwdriver. It measures about 2 13/16" x 2 3/8". The lock is made of cast brass, and as far as I can see, it is unmarked. The clock is circa 1907. Any help will be appreciated- a source of parts, or a used lock, or even the maker's name will help. Thanks very much.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	13360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	453.7 KB 
ID:	13361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	453.7 KB 
ID:	13361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01472_2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	283.7 KB 
ID:	13362

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	423.0 KB 
ID:	13359

Quote Originally Posted by Rushton View Post
    Hi all, I am restoring a 17' tall E. Howard cast iron street clock, and the door to the base, which contains the clock movement, is locked with the lock seen here in the pictures- it has been butchered, unfortunately, and can be opened with a screwdriver. It measures about 2 13/16" x 2 3/8". The lock is made of cast brass, and as far as I can see, it is unmarked. The clock is circa 1907. Any help will be appreciated- a source of parts, or a used lock, or even the maker's name will help. Thanks very much.
    That lock is well over one hundred years old and whoever made it, you may be sure that it is long obsolete. Although it is a little beat up, I think it could be repaired or at least returned to working order by a competent locksmith. There are also firms that specialize in antique hardware restoration, one that comes to mind is Ball and Ball although there are others:
    http://www.ballandball-us.com/

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    That lock is well over one hundred years old and whoever made it, you may be sure that it is long obsolete. Although it is a little beat up, I think it could be repaired or at least returned to working order by a competent locksmith. There are also firms that specialize in antique hardware restoration, one that comes to mind is Ball and Ball although there are others:
    http://www.ballandball-us.com/

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks, Pete. Yes, I realize it is obsolete! I am hoping someone here will recognize the pour bugger and at least identify the manufacturer- a place to start. The interior parts have been sawn and filed, and I think a part or two is missing- so a parts lock will be helpful.

Rushton, it doesn't look too bad. Some levers missing, broken lever spring. The case, cover, plug and shoe all seem to be okay. I can fix that lock up for you and make or repair any of the parts. Send me a email at macslocks@gmail.com. Doug

Default Clock lock-

Thanks very much for the replies. Fortunately, I have been able to find a N.O.S. lock for a very reasonable price.

Thread Information