Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default J & J Taylor Vault

I recently purchased a building that was originally built as a bank in 1920. It contains two J & J Taylor vaults and a safe. I'd like to clean up the main floor vault and can't see how to remove the hinge caps to make cleanup easier. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    TIA,
    Ted

Do you have a picture of the door and hinge?

The cap should be threaded and screwed on. I have a tool that looks like an over sized oil filter wench with a plastic handle and a rubber loop.

You can used a pointed punch and indent the cap's edge straight on then angle your punch in the off direction to get a stubborn cap moving.

DH

Thanks David. My first thought was that they might screw on but when I turn any of them with water pump pliers they just turn, they don't get looser. Here's a photo:
    (Hmmm - selected a jpg and clicked Upload numerous times but your system opens a new browser window and then nothing happens... maybe can't work from a smartphone?)
    Ted

Default ps

Default uploads

Upload works from my desktop but not from the phone...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GF18small.jpg  

Default Hinge caps

Sorry for the delay Ted, and sorry I've never worked on a J&J Taylor vault door.

I would assume they are press fit if they are not screwing out. Work them back and forth as you pull out.

DH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hinge.jpg  

Thanks David, I'll give that a try...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hovey View Post
    Sorry for the delay Ted, and sorry I've never worked on a J&J Taylor vault door.

I would assume they are press fit if they are not screwing out. Work them back and forth as you pull out.

DH

Thread Information