Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
On massive doors like One King West or the Cleveland Fed, the surface area of the tapered plug closing into the jamb is immense- we've seen the paper clip imprint in the Cleveland Feds jamb, so one things for sure- with the tolerances of fit as tight as they are there'll be scuff and abrasion marks everywhere if the pressure bar system has been continuously overcoming any binding points.
Speaking of door jamb damage...I noticed the One King West door jamb steps/rebates are dinged where the door pins line up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1KW door jamb damage.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	13390 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1KW door pins1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	13391

This leads me to believe the door may have entered the jamb at a slight angle (not parallel to the jamb) and the door pins grazed the jamb. I suppose this could be avoided if the operator stops the door when it is just outside the jamb and pivots it slightly (using the pressure bars), then continues pushing the door straight in. Conversely, when the door opens the operator would pull the door straight out first then use the door handle to continue opening the door in an arc.

I reached out to Wylk on vault door open/close procedures and he shared his thoughts which I combined into the Vault Door Open Close Procedures document. I've never open/closed a vault door but this is my/our best guess at all that must occur in these transactions. As always, any corrections are gladly welcome.