Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bingo! Good find wylk. That's a real box of tricks and would explain the high spin rate and ratio being achieved without worm gearing on a door like the Cleveland Fed. Think I've just about got it, but there's a few immediate parts off the spindle where the numbers are a bit vague. Going to need a really close look at this one

This might make a fun 3D printer project if the needed details can be figured out!

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    This might make a fun 3D printer project if the needed details can be figured out!
    Itd be even more fun in origami..

Speaking of Fort Knox, here is a video showing a vault door being opened in 1974. It is stated the hand wheel needs to be turned 14 times. The door opening starts at about 1:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRZc7YEV8rU

The same sequence is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Cy_3wFEZc at about 14:34.

Here's another example of a Mosler door, found on eBay. It's surprising the bevel gears are not covered. The seller states "Vintage 1940s."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosler Pressure 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	21918 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosler Pressure 2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	21919

Another pressure-system layout, this time a Hall's door in the Hilton, downtown Milwaukee. Notice the chain of four gears to convey cranking from the bottom to the top bar. This is more commonly done with a rod, and gearing at each end. Was there a cover, or was all of this exposed by design?

I enjoy the "hanging" doors above. There must have been a second floor which was removed to make the area more spacious and open.

Name:	Halls - Hilton Downtown Milwaukee.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	22077

Wylk, you're like a friggin magician pulling this crap off the net. Okay not crap. Actually very interesting and obviously a fairly early Hall vault door. Doubt it had a cover though.

Default Halls Pressure System Door.

Do you know what the indicator is for? I always assumed it was for the TL.

DH

I doubt the time lock would have enough strength to move such an indicator. I might suggest it was tied to the pressure system but that picture isn't clear enough. Some other doors have pointers; it could be a bad day if you slam a door shut and the pins aren't aligned in the slots; and it's a nice feature to let you know when you can pull a door open.

Name:	Hermann - Kelseyville CA 6.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	22082

I see the pressure bars do not work the same as what we are used to seeing. Instead of rotating, they move in and out. So that indicator is showing the bar position. Never saw that setup before.

Thread Information