Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Duplacating a key for a beginner.

I have a key I want to duplicate. It is not common so with your help I have found out what the blank is and have some on order. I was advised not to take it to my local hardware store for duplication. That makes sense, Locksmiths know things and have experience. (Years ago I was that kid working at the hardware store making keys, I didn't know much.

BUT I like to learn things, I had to buy more links then I need so I want to try duplicating one myself without a machine. I am not trying to save money, I am trying to learn and have fun.

Here is my plan. Clamp the good key and the blank in a machinist vice lined up correctly on top of one another.
    Carefully scribe the cuts of the good key on the blank.

Remove the good key and set it aside. Clamp the blank in the vice and mill away excess metal that I can with a small end mill.

I have measured the cuts in the key and they are .062 R so using a 1/r dia round file, file to the scribe lines.

Use a small flat file to get the tip and the approach from the shoulder.

Debur the key.

Try it.

Drive to a locksmith and get a key made.

What am I missing? what do I have wrong?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fdew View Post
    Here is my plan. Clamp the good key and the blank in a machinist vice lined up correctly on top of one another.

Remove the good key and set it aside. Clamp the blank in the vice and mill away excess metal that I can with a small end mill.

I have measured the cuts in the key and they are .062 R so using a 1/r dia round file, file to the scribe lines.

Try it.

That should work as long as you make the root depths right (distance from bottom of the cut to the bottom of the key) and don't make the sides too steep.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by fdew View Post
    I have a key I want to duplicate. It is not common so with your help I have found out what the blank is and have some on order. I was advised not to take it to my local hardware store for duplication. That makes sense, Locksmiths know things and have experience. (Years ago I was that kid working at the hardware store making keys, I didn't know much.
    BUT I like to learn things, I had to buy more links then I need so I want to try duplicating one myself without a machine. I am not trying to save money, I am trying to learn and have fun.
    Use a small flat file to get the tip and the approach from the shoulder.
    Debur the key.
    Try it.
    Drive to a locksmith and get a key made.
    Thanks
    Well that might work, but note well that pin tumbler locks and keys are manufactured to very accurate specifications in terms of both spacing and depths of cuts. A variation of as little as .002" in either dimension may not allow the key to work properly. Professional locksmiths can generate keys to code on very precise machinery intended solely for that purpose or by profiling the original on an accurate duplicator. Either method will result in a satisfactory key. To find a reputable locksmith click here:
    http://www.clearstar.com/yellform.htm

Pete Schifferli

It requires a pretty steady hand to cut a key accurately with a dremel or die grinder. Spring for a locksmiths round or pippen shape file. Make sure to get the superfine cut. These are not available at hardware stores. Although they cut more slowly than a grinder, you will have much more control over depth of cut. Doug

thanks, I was going to use a 1/8 in dia chain saw file but good files are always handy so I will get a set.

A set you don't need, just one and they aren't cheap. Usually called an impression file in the trade. A chain saw file will work well for the majority of the cutting in key duplication but the impression file is best when you near the shear line as it is less aggressive and leaves a smoother cut, which is why it is used for impressioning. And that is much more challenging than just key duplication. You did say you wanted to learn something. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    the impression file is best when you near the shear line
    You did say you wanted to learn something. Doug
    Yes I did, and I thank you. After all these years I am finally going to learn how to make a good impression. (Grin)

(No, I am not going to attempt impressioning.

Frank

http://www.nicholsontool.com/files/s...und-apple-seed

Good files are hard to find in Gorbet. Here is an example of some Swiss Pattern files in a #2 that is what I use but I use Gorbet as they are really good quality. Practice is the only way to become good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    http://www.nicholsontool.com/files/s...und-apple-seed

Good files are hard to find in Gorbet. Here is an example of some Swiss Pattern files in a #2 that is what I use but I use Gorbet as they are really good quality. Practice is the only way to become good.

I prefer the Grobet #4. For me a single stroke removes .002"
    BBE.

Thread Information