Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1852 Silas Herring Grasshopper - No Key...

Hey Everyone,

I recently came into care of the attached 1852 Silas Herring "Grasshopper" fireproof safe. It has been with my fire company for a verrrry long time. However, when the past president passed (over 12 years ago) he did so unexpectedly and never told anyone where the key was. My question is whether or not this type of safe might be able to have the lock picked. Previous attempts included shearing off the hinges with a K12, but obviously this didn't work. (I know that was kind of sacrilegious but previous attempts were also made by firemen, not graceful nor completely caring about antiques)

Honestly any information on this safe would be very much appreciated especially it it resulted in not having to further destroy the thing.

Thanks,
    Stray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image1.jpg   image2.jpg   image3.jpg   image4.jpg  

Default More photos attached

Some more photos of the safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image5.jpg   image6.jpg   image7.jpeg  

If anyone is picking that lock today, it is a well kept secret. However it can be opened with a small amount of easily repairable damage. The problem is there are not many lock/safe smiths familiar with the method. Where are you located? I may know someone in your area to recommend. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    If anyone is picking that lock today, it is a well kept secret. However it can be opened with a small amount of easily repairable damage. The problem is there are not many lock/safe smiths familiar with the method. Where are you located? I may know someone in your area to recommend. Doug

They already destroyed the safe, I'm sure once it is open it will have a brief drag to the nearest dumpster

If it is destroyed already the simplest thing is a disc cutter!

Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I recently came into care of the attached 1852 Silas Herring "Grasshopper" fireproof safe. It has been with my fire company for a verrrry long time. However, when the past president passed (over 12 years ago) he did so unexpectedly and never told anyone where the key was. My question is whether or not this type of safe might be able to have the lock picked. Previous attempts included shearing off the hinges with a K12, but obviously this didn't work. (I know that was kind of sacrilegious but previous attempts were also made by firemen, not graceful nor completely caring about antiques)

Honestly any information on this safe would be very much appreciated especially it it resulted in not having to further destroy the thing.

Thanks,
    Stray
    A beautiful piece of history, unfortunately forced by someone not aware of it's true worth!!

Sadden by the fact this could be opened with a simple make-up key and contain it's original value and function.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by David Hovey View Post
    A beautiful piece of history, unfortunately forced by someone not aware of it's true worth!!

Sadden by the fact this could be opened with a simple make-up key and contain it's original value and function.

DH
    But what is the original value of an old safe? In my experience pretty close to zero. If you can't move it yourself it is often below zero.

Just about to post on another thread but how often have we all had the phone call "There's an old safe here. It's locked and we have no keys. If you will move it you can have it". This is usually after the owner has already been told by the local scrap man that it is worth nothing and that he would charge to remove it.

In the final analysis anything is worth what somebody else is willing to pay. If you have something big, or heavy, or both that is unlikely to be much. If you don't believe me see how many free pianos and snooker tables are available for anybody who will collect them!

The difference here is that this 150 year old safe is not a commonly found 100 year old locked up box. Even the lock /boltwork removed intact is collectible. But more to the point is the OP's stated desire to have it opened without further destroying it. Doug

It can be opened but requires a small hole to stick a scope in.phil shearer used to make a special key kit for this lock.if you are on the east coast close to Pa i can help.

Don't let the door fall off on Your foot, they'd prolly fix You with duct tape & throw Your body in the dumpster

Thread Information