Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Gibbons Brass lock

Hi group could anyone please advise me i have ten of these brass gibbons locks with keys in excellent condition are they of any value as locks as i have no idea thanks kelvinClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PA080583.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	959.8 KB 
ID:	13215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA080584.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	934.3 KB 
ID:	13216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA080582.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	969.3 KB 
ID:	13217

From a collectors point of view the value is not there IMO as there is nothing 'technically' interesting about them.

However they would have a value as architectural salvage, what that would be I don't know.

I've seen similar locks with large asking prices on them, however they don't seem to sell !

I would offer them to a large dealer in such salvage and see what they will pay.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    From a collectors point of view the value is not there IMO as there is nothing 'technically' interesting about them.

However they would have a value as architectural salvage, what that would be I don't know.

I've seen similar locks with large asking prices on them, however they don't seem to sell !

I would offer them to a large dealer in such salvage and see what they will pay.
    The unusual thing about them is that they have a purpose made escutchion/backplate on both sides of the door. I have never seen this before, but it is a simple thing to do, which will make them more interesting and valuable to a user, but have little real interest to a collector.
    The escutcheon would be quite an easy thing to make new and see if people wanted to buy them...but they would have to be matched to the precise rimlock.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post

Many thanks for the info and your advice best regards Kelvin

Thread Information