Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well apart from when you finally unlock one and retract the bolt, I've never had a proper 'click' from any of the thousands of Manifoil's I've worked on Al! - yes, you can gently feel some tension from those 2 roller arms as they roll down into the gate in the top driver, but I think it'd be a stretch of the imagination to call it a 'click'!

Think of the Fichet Monocommande combination lock- a true click-action lock on which you actually count the clicks- positive and clearly audible on every one. I think that's more the sort of thing people are expecting if they don't know about locks.

Yes, the Mosler 302 and 402 locks have one distinct click per rotation and it is one of the anti-manipulation features. But usually Hollywood gives us constant clicks that make me think of winding a pendulum clock or the clicking of the rear wheel of many bicycles when they coast.

When I look at that tag I see "WIGLR" rather than "NIGEL". Not that it helps much!

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Yes, the Mosler 302 and 402 locks have one distinct click per rotation and it is one of the anti-manipulation features. But usually Hollywood gives us constant clicks that make me think of winding a pendulum clock or the clicking of the rear wheel of many bicycles when they coast.

When I look at that tag I see "WIGLR" rather than "NIGEL". Not that it helps much!
    The rollers in the Manifoil Lock are also a anti manipulation device.

I think that it might be worth trying turning the dial
    more than 4 times anticlockwise to 50 and then right until it stops
    or
    turn at least 4 times anticlockwise to 41 and then turn right until it stops
    or
    turn the dial anticlockwise until 10 the fourth time, turn clockwise until 20 the third time, anticlockwise until 30 the second time, clockwise until it stops - these words are clear -you are not turning a certain number of revolutions and then to the number -you are turning until the number comes up the **rd time

Some S&G locks default to 50-25-50. Worth trying but unlikely.

During the Manhattan Project, physicist Richard Feynman built up a reputation as a "locksmith". After General Grove (head of the project) left nobody could get into his safe so they called a real locksmith who promptly opened it using the default combination; Grove, a stickler for security, never changed his own safe.

I've never known of the 50-25-50 setting on basic S&G 3-wheel locks here in the UK- our 6730's were always factory set to '50'

It's also worth trying obvious combinations like 10-20-30 etc as it only takes a minute and you have nothing to lose, but it's easy to get carried away with it and with a million possibilities, once the obvious ones haven't worked anything beyond is being rather optimistic! It's knowing where to draw the line basically, although if you don't mind spending tedious hours kneeling on hard concrete trying random numbers and keeping track of what you've tried etc, then you have nothing to lose.

Thread Information