Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Some nice Chubb keys

A couple of nice old Chubb keys.
    It amazes me the variety of sizes that came from Chubb.
    All as found with some pitting but still nice items
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb key-2a-1.JPG   chubb key-1a-1.JPG   chubb keys - group-1.JPG  

As far as I know Chubb made 3 different key sizes for each size of lock, together with this they also had at least 3 different sizes of bolt throwing steps on the keybits.

Another security feature was to add 1 or more wards to prevent the entry of a similar sized key (by Chubb or any other maker) which reduces the chances of someone using a false key to trip the detector.

So all in all Chubb used different sized keys (diameter of pipe or stem), throwing steps and wards to act as a form of key control.

Chubb also made their keys out of different materials, most commonly are the gun metal type but on special orders they were made from copper or brass (these last two were made from copper or brass to prevent the chance of sparking when used on volatile environments like ammunition/gunpowder storage or flammable chemicals etc, they could also be used in harsh environmental conditions like on naval vessels or on seaside buildings, I can't imagine that they would be used frequently because copper and brass are quite soft metals so they would bent or wear quite easily).

Nice keys, Chubb keys always look great when cleaned up, I also love the sound they make when struck together, very high quality pieces, it's a pity no one makes locks or keys like that anymore.

Kit

Literature of the time advises :

Hardened and polished steel.
    Gunmetal (bronze)

As standard options

or

Silver / Gold

For the super rich VIP's

No mention of copper ? (it would be far far too soft surely ??)

The Bronze does seem to vary in colour a fair bit, which may explain a more copper coloured key.
    Last edited by oldlock; 08-03-15 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Typo

Hi Oldlock, They definitely made keys from copper because I have one, as typical with copper it is worn to the level where it underthrows the bolt and it's now difficult to reset the detector, like I said, I assume it was under special request, I also have some brass rimlock keys too but the stems and bits are twisted out of alignment with the bow, far too soft for frequent use, silver would be more ideally suited for the task than gold for premium customers, the trouble is with precious metal keys is that people sell and melt them down so naturally become very scarce if actually found at all.

Kit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chubb copper.jpg  
    Last edited by KitBear; 08-03-15 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Photo upload

It could very well be made from bronze but it looks more like copper to me.

I agree the colour looks very like copper, but I'd lay long odds it's just the way it's patina has gone.

Copper is a horrible material to machine, it's very 'sticky' and I could not think of anything worse to make a blank from and then cut !

Default Nice

Quote Originally Posted by macs_07 View Post
    A couple of nice old Chubb keys.
    It amazes me the variety of sizes that came from Chubb.
    All as found with some pitting but still nice items
    Some really nice keys there, I've added a few of my chubb keys. The one with the tag might not be chubb as the lettering is worn too much to be 100% certain. The new patent one is fresh to my collection so I know very little aboutit . Being a collector and not a locksmith any comments that would educate are much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1425902064534.jpg   1425902268796.jpg   1425902313923.jpg   1425902346598.jpg   1425902461441.jpg  

1425902531834.jpg   1425902577968.jpg   1425902621130.jpg  

Default Nice

Mistake
    Last edited by Warren63; 09-03-15 at 01:35 PM. Reason: posted twice by mistake

Interesting keys Warren.

The new patent with the ward is nice, 1833 > 1852 (ish).

The second key is interesting, could be one of a pair for a dual control lock with that reduced bolt step is my first thought ?

The rimlock key is typical - nothing too special but nice, I'd be tempted to gently clean it, nothing really to loose by doing do.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    Interesting keys Warren.

The new patent with the ward is nice, 1833 > 1852 (ish).

The second key is interesting, could be one of a pair for a dual control lock with that reduced bolt step is my first thought ?

The rimlock key is typical - nothing too special but nice, I'd be tempted to gently clean it, nothing really to loose by doing do.
    Thanks for your informative response, I love finding out something new about my collection and I didn't realise the new patent was possibly as old. Neither did I know about the possibility of the other being part of a pair. I have been thinking about cleaning up the large rimlock key so your input has been appreciated there too.. I am going to put pictures up of a couple of Whitfield keys in the hope I can get some help with identification. Thanks again.

Thread Information