Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    wow- well spotted Patent! just how rare are the Isham's, is it down to only a handful of known examples?
    Reference "American Genius - Most commonly made as a stand-alone lock, approximately thirty examples of Isham's Key Register lock remain".
    An advert in 1868-69 for the Isham Key Register Bank Lock claims " The Stock Exchange and Safe Deposit vaults in New York City are now using 418 of this lock"
    If the lock on the Williamsburgh Savings Bank vault is an Isham then add +1 to the total known.
    Patent.

Yes Patent, I think you have it. I compared the lock with several examples of the New Britain Isham locks in the Mossman collection. The size and markings are the same from what I can tell.

Regarding that Von Philp round vault door, the odds are pretty good that it was made. No examples of it exist, to my knowledge, but rare finds of patented locks, safes and vaults keep occurring on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    'Locking Mechanism for Safe or Vault Doors' Patent 1,173,068 shows an emergency door in the center of the main vault door, notice the double crane hinge. It also uses cam wedges ILO locking bolts on both doors. Was this door ever built?

Attachment 13218 Attachment 13219

Patent: https://www.google.com/patents/US117...ed=0CB4Q6AEwAA
    The cams and bolts are certainly a bit different and the door-within-the-door ridiculous, but those aspects aside, the general appearance with drive via connecting rods and the circular windows reminds me of the early Hibbard Rodman Ely doors.

'Locking Mechanism for Safe or Vault Doors' Patent 1,173,068 shows an emergency door in the center of the main vault door, notice the double crane hinge. It also uses cam wedges ILO locking bolts on both doors. Was this door ever built?
    People who enjoyed this post may also enjoy http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...He-Thinking-II as well as http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...as-He-Thinking?

Strauss also patented a door-in-door, US 901,047:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DD.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	13223

Here is an interesting vault door installation at a residential boat house:

Name:	Vault Door Install (13).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	948.7 KB 
ID:	13267

Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/canton...7649167768394/

Article: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-755347.html

Here is an interesting vault door installation at a residential boat house:
    That answers a question in my "door catalog" -- At 176 Main Street, Los Altos, CA, there was a nice vault in a former Bank of the West. But there were claims it had been demolished. So now we know the door is gone and has found a new home (but where?). It also looks like the center glass was broken during the move, I hope the new owner replaces it and takes some serious rust-prevention measures.

Name:	Los Altos 3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	13268

It looks like a late Herring-Hall-Marvin door. This image could make a nice Windows desktop.

Default HHM location

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    That answers a question in my "door catalog" -- At 176 Main Street, Los Altos, CA, there was a nice vault in a former Bank of the West. But there were claims it had been demolished.
    It also looks like the center glass was broken during the move, I hope the new owner replaces it and takes some serious rust-prevention measures.

Name:	Los Altos 3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	13268

It looks like a late Herring-Hall-Marvin door. This image could make a nice Windows desktop.

So now we know the door is gone and has found a new home (but where?).
    Madison Wisconsin. Lake Mendota

DH

Was this door ever built?]
    Well, maybe not this exact door but...I just found an emergency door inside a vault door at The Vault Cafe in Phoenix, AZ. I'll go there next week for lunch and see if I can get some pics of the other side of the door:

Name:	Double Vault Door.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	13455

Thread Information