Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Here's a better picture of the exterior of the Williamsburgh Savings Bank vault

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WSB6.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	503.8 KB 
ID:	13207

That's a superbly beautiful door. Not my cup of tea at all, but undoubtedly beautiful- belongs in Count Ludwig's Castle in Bavaria though. He probably already had one for his cigars... the decoration certainly oozes European style and influence- wonder what George Price would have made of it?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    That's a superbly beautiful door. Not my cup of tea at all, but undoubtedly beautiful- belongs in Count Ludwig's Castle in Bavaria though. He probably already had one for his cigars... the decoration certainly oozes European style and influence- wonder what George Price would have made of it?
    Funny you should mention George Price. I was thinking about him only yesterday. Might start a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    I was thinking that too. What I can see of the door face would indicate otherwise. Inside looks a little bit like a Herring. If the door is in fact 1875 the Yale timelock may have been added later. Using Yales comb may not be so strange on a door destined for the U.S. Really like to see the lower lock, whatever it is. I will contact John Erroll to see if he is willing to do a little research on that door. Doug
    Looking at the embellishment on the lock case I think that the lower lock could possibly be an Isham Key Register made by the New Britain Bank Lock Co.
    Any views on this theory?
    Patent

Quote Originally Posted by Patent View Post
    Looking at the embellishment on the lock case I think that the lower lock could possibly be an Isham Key Register made by the New Britain Bank Lock Co.
    Any views on this theory?
    Patent
    Here is a close-up of the lower lock, the text is difficult to read but I think it does say in part "By The New Britain Bank Lock Co." This doesn't closely match the Isham Key Register lock in the book American Genius but it might be related?

Name:	12422284855_496505794a_o.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	584.9 KB 
ID:	13209

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Here is a close-up of the lower lock, the text is difficult to read but I think it does say in part "By The New Britain Bank Lock Co." This doesn't closely match the Isham Key Register lock in the book American Genius but it might be related?

Name:	12422284855_496505794a_o.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	584.9 KB 
ID:	13209
    Thanks Wylk for posting a close-up. If you look closely at the patent date is it July 1856 & 7 ? The lock could be associated with the Isham patents 15239 and 17740.
    Now that would be a real find!
    Patent

I concur re the Isham, this door gets better and better.

I checked the 1856 and 57 patent index and there is no doubt the dates refer to the Isham patents for those years. The case shape is more in line with the 1856 patent and known lock examples as the 57 patent lock is wider in relation to the height, so it looks like the lock would have to be removed to see exactly what it is.

wow- well spotted Patent! just how rare are the Isham's, is it down to only a handful of known examples?

'Locking Mechanism for Safe or Vault Doors' Patent 1,173,068 shows an emergency door in the center of the main vault door, notice the double crane hinge. It also uses cam wedges ILO locking bolts on both doors. Was this door ever built?

Name:	Double Door.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	13218 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Double Door2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	13219

Patent: https://www.google.com/patents/US117...ed=0CB4Q6AEwAA

Thread Information