Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bastille Key -- Mount Vernon et al

I am trying to date the George Washington's Bastille Key (given by Lafayette to Washington) located at Mount Vernon, Virginia, USA. Would like to know maybe in which century(ies) it could have been made. Also, direction to any reference or ideas on how such a key would have been made would be appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BastilleKeyMVGW.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	13012
    It's about seven inches (18 cm) long and weighs about one pound and three ounces (538 grams). Thanks!

My best guess is that it dates from the 18th century. Not being able to get up close to the key, and depending on a single side-view photo, it's difficult to see how it was made. I think it was most likely cast. The process of malleable key casting was introduced in the mid-18th century.
    What I find most interesting is the unusual bow (handle). This suggests it required a hard turn, and the solid handle would allow for more leverage. I've seen a modern Yale prison key that had a stout T-shaped handle that put more power behind the turn.

Default Bastille Key - Mount Vernon et al

Dear Scott:

Thanks! I guess I would have to visit Mount Vernon again to get a closer viewing; not sure I could get a better photo, given possible restrictions. I'm attaching an image of the Mount Vernon key; perhaps it will give you an better opportunity to look at the detail vis a vis the earlier (smaller) inserted image. If this doesn't help, can you also either tell me or send me to a reference as to what I should look for to discern the difference between casting and whatever came earlier? As you may know, the Bastille was taken on 14 July 1789, so an 18th century dating would fit. Note that it was described by Lafayette as the "main key" to the Bastille.

As you may also know, there are other Bastille keys, one given later by Lafayette to the Masonic Temple in Alexandria, VA. Here's a photo (also attached) of it that I managed to put together by extracting from a photo with a brownish background: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BastilleKeyMasonic.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	13026Note that the bit should actually appear straight, not rounded as shows in the image. However, the bump in the shaft is real. One description of this key is that it came from the "front door" of the Bastille. Approximate measurements are ten inches (25.5 cm) and five pounds (2.2 kg). If you can give any comment about this one as well, it'd be appreciated. 4WIW, you can find other information about what I'm finding out by googling: Liberty Key Bastille. Again, any external, good reference about the history of keys would be appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards,
    BillB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BastilleKeyMVGW.jpg  

Will try again to attach the Masonic Temple key image. For some reason, it's not showing up as an attached thumbnail, at least on what I'm now viewing. Apology if a duplicate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BastilleKeyMasonic.jpg  

hello BillB,

your first key hast a typical french bit, 18th

your second key comes from united kingdom, 18th

I would look for a line or seam along the top and bottom of the key. Of course this may not be readily seen after the finishing of the key with a file.
    Books on antique locks and keys are not plentiful, and those available mostly cover the history and different kinds. Erik Monk's Keys: Their History & Collection has a little on the topic of malleable casting (pp. 51-52). The book was printed in the U.K. and may not still be in print.
    In my earlier post I commented on the strange handle (or bow). I suspect that its lock had a single lever that had a very strong spring that required a hard turn. This lever did not use gating as found in modern lever locks. Rather its purpose was to hold the bolt in place so it could not be pushed back. The notch at the bottom of the key bit raised the lever. You might think there were two levers because there were two notches. They key was made so it could be used on either side of the door. Notice that the two sides of the bit are mirror images of each other.
    Just curious. You seem to be doing a lot of research on this key. What are your plans? An article perhaps?

BillB- looking at the first key (Lafayette/Washington) it definitely appears to be cast, but finding any obvious 'left-over' signs on it would probably be difficult even if studied in your hand.

Bear in mind that the maker would have spent a lot of time 'cleaning up' and fitting the key after casting- filing and scraping any raised seams, flashing and imperfections before final degrees of finer finishing and polishing. When you then add x amount of years heavy use, wear, plus 200+ years of handling since, the chances of any obvious signs are probably a million to one.

Can only suggest (optimistically) looking for any possible signs of straight recessed marks or for any signs of porosity around the point where the bit projects from the pin, this would be the number one place for any bubbles to form where the flow is greatly affected during casting. Also any potential points in the bit that were cut after casting, as this can reveal porous pockets within the casting underneath, but these are also unlikely on a well made example and even if present would almost definitely have been removed as part of the above processes when made.

Overall the key looks very well made and it's probably unlikely to give away any obvious clues.

Dear Scott, "Max," and Gerry:

Thanks so very much! I am very likely going for a book. Again, you can see a little of what I'm up to by googling: Liberty Key Bastille. If my page isn't right at the top, just look for Bahr, my last name, and you should find it. There's the Mount Vernon key right at the top of the page.

Have found a little history on-line about the keys right around that time frame. However, I'm guessing earlier keys, would have been forged and then cut? Here are some other keys that I've found related to the Bastille: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BastilleKeysHowellQuestion.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	13029 and Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BastilleKeysMuseé Carnavalet.jpg 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	13030 and Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BastilleKeyReplicaMilitaria.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	13031. Would the Masonic Temple key sent earlier be able to open the door from both sides? How about these new keys? Also, the Masonic Temple key was suggested to be made in the United Kingdom in the mid 1700s. Wondering how the key might have made it to France. Is the Masonic Temple key much like this one (about key warding) that I've just found on-line (does it only open the door from one side)? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	key-ward.jpg 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	13032
    Thanks again for your comments! You've all been very helpful!!
    Best regards,
    Bill

For some reason the earlier attempted attachments don't seem to be attached. They give a better view of the other Bastille keys. Again, it if wasn't clear, date, location, and method of manufacture would be appreciated. Also, any indication that these keys would be opening the doors from both sides? I'm guessing at least some of them would have been used as cell door keys and so just worked from one side. May I take it that the locksmith would have constructed the accompanying locks as well?

Sorry if the attachments, if they work this time, somehow are duplicated. Thanks again!

Best regards,
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BastilleKeysHowellQuestion.jpg   BastilleKeyReplicaMilitaria.jpg   BastilleKeysMuseé Carnavalet.jpg   key-ward.jpg  

for opening from both side,
    it must be a key with not hollow shank
    and bid should be symmetrical.

1722 reaumur published his researches
    about cast iron with possibilty of smithing,
    cutting and filing.

in his book we can see the first cast key.

nobody knows how much keys were made
    like this.

in france they used a brazing with silver,
    it is same colour as iron and not red as cooper.

it is a very difficult theme.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11.tiff.jpg  

Thread Information