Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default American Association of Master Locksmiths

Does anyone here know when the American Association of Master Locksmiths ceased to exist? I know for a fact that it was around as late as 1933, and an ad for a hardware store's locksmith in a January 10, 1935 newspaper and a few locksmith ads in a telephone directory for August 1946 (here and here) advertise being members of the Association, suggesting that it may have been around that long, but I don't know when in actuality it dissolved, or why.

I also wonder: was the May 1933 (vol. 5, no. 1) issue of the Association's magazine, The Master Locksmith, the last issue published, or did any more follow? The New York Public Library's online catalog says they have every issue from Jan. 1929 (the first issue) to May 1933 (and notes publication was suspended Dec. 1932 to Apr. 1933), but that doesn't rule out any additional issues for certain.

Thanks,

Zachary.

I know I read about the Association some years ago and I think it was in an early Locksmith Ledgers from the 1950's. Although a bit foggy on it, the Association was not long lived, certainly gone by the 50's, if not the 40's. Doug

Thread Information