Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default New member, looking for old safe help.

Hi there.. I posted in a different part of this forum but not getting much luck, thought I'd try here? My husband and I bought a house last April, and it came with an old safe. It was a part of a family trust, the owners were deceased, so we never had an opportunity to talk to them about it. It's about chest high on me (I'm 5'6"). I'm curious how old it may be, and does it have any value? I'm partial to it, been keeping my ooooold books in it, and want to hang on to it. That and the idea of moving it would be a big undertaking. I'm almost sure this house was built around it, I don't think it would fit through the doorway to the room it's in. I saw there are serial numbers on the handles of Mosler? safes... is this what that is? But the serial numbers listed in one thread do not match the numbers I see on the handle... where else would I look for serial numbers or is that it? We do have the combination and it does work.
    I would appreciate any help. Never had a safe before so I am completely 100% ignorant. Just know I like old things and it's quite cool in my eyes. On on the handle, the numbers above are 485 and below is the number 6.
    20150209 165424 1
    20150209164606 1
    20150209164534 1

Default The Detroit Safe Co.

I pulled the outer pic from photo bucket.

Not Mosler made. The dial is not original but it would have had an S&G dial. The concealed hinges, finials, handle, casters, and the frame layers from body to door (picture frame affect) resemble Detroit safe.

The raised panel door and handle arbor directly thru the trim was not common.

That may help with your history and research.

DH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a.jpg  

The safe dial is not OEM to that safe. I would say the lock was replaced. This isn't a bad thing unless you are wanting it all original. It looks better made than many safes today. It is a lovely safe.

Thread Information