Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Original ball & chain

I am trying to find an original factory made Tower or Bean ball and chain. Anyone out there know of a source for one?

thanks Spencer

Can you help us foreigners?
    what is it?
    regards
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Can you help us foreigners?
    what is it?
    regards
    tom
    It is a prison restraint that is composed of an iron ball connected to a shackle with about six feet of chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    It is a prison restraint that is composed of an iron ball connected to a shackle with about six feet of chain.
    Ah .... I thought it was some type of padlock - I am surprised that they were branded rather than just being made locally.

Ah .... I thought it was some type of padlock - I am surprised that they were branded rather than just being made locally.
    I don't think handcuff manufacturers actually made them - but were made locally as you suggested. I saw a ball and chain at the Folsom Prison Museum in California. Its chain was only 19 inches in length and was attached to a 10 pound ball. The ball and chain was not attached to a handcuff, but appeared to be secured either by a padlock or rivet. I have seen a Houdini photo where the escape artist has two long ball and chains attached to what looks like darbies cuffs. I suspect they were made especially for Houdini's performances.

Incidentally, I attempted to attach a photo of Folsom's ball and chain along with an Oregon Boot, but I got a "the webb address you entered could not be found" message.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    I don't think handcuff manufacturers actually made them - but were made locally as you suggested. I saw a ball and chain at the Folsom Prison Museum in California. Its chain was only 19 inches in length and was attached to a 10 pound ball. The ball and chain was not attached to a handcuff, but appeared to be secured either by a padlock or rivet. I have seen a Houdini photo where the escape artist has two long ball and chains attached to what looks like darbies cuffs. I suspect they were made especially for Houdini's performances.

Incidentally, I attempted to attach a photo of Folsom's ball and chain along with an Oregon Boot, but I got a "the webb address you entered could not be found" message.
    So Tower and Dean were rare branded makers of these items?

So Tower and Dean were rare branded makers of these items?
    Tower and Bean were the only two commercial manufacturers of prison ball and chains an that is what I'm looking for. The vast majority of these items were cobbled together by local blacksmiths in order to cut down on costs.

Like this:
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/26115...Ball+and+Chain

Note the adjustable shackle, similar to some handcuffs.

Edit: in fact identical to Tower handcuff mechanism.
    http://www.handcuffs.org/tower/

There is some probability that the one in the previous link is bits cobbled together, and not original?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Al View Post
    Edit: in fact identical to Tower handcuff mechanism.
    http://www.handcuffs.org/tower/

There is some probability that the one in the previous link is bits cobbled together, and not original?
    Thanks for the photo...I am very familiar with that one and it represents one of the better jobs of "cobbling" that I've seen but it is NOT a factory job. By going to Handcuffs.org you can see what the real thing looks like.

Thread Information