Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Original ball & chain

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    I don't think handcuff manufacturers actually made them - but were made locally as you suggested. I saw a ball and chain at the Folsom Prison Museum in California. Its chain was only 19 inches in length and was attached to a 10 pound ball. The ball and chain was not attached to a handcuff, but appeared to be secured either by a padlock or rivet. I have seen a Houdini photo where the escape artist has two long ball and chains attached to what looks like darbies cuffs. I suspect they were made especially for Houdini's performances.

Incidentally, I attempted to attach a photo of Folsom's ball and chain along with an Oregon Boot, but I got a "the webb address you entered could not be found" message.
    I am not a collector of restraints, but I do have some reference material on them. I looked up Tower and Bean in Alex Nichols' A Guidebook to Handcuffs. Tower and Bean did indeed make a ball and chain pattern legiron. So my earlier remark was inaccurate. Sorry!

That's okay Scott we can all learn from this forum. We know that Tower and Bean made them for sure but what remains in question is did others like Mattatuck offer one?

Thread Information