Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique Linus Yale Quadruplex key

Hello. So we uncovered in our basement an antique parlor safe of Bigelow and Hardy, Marland's patent. It turns out that the key, which we have is a Yale quadruplex and it works.
    Can anyone tell me the value of such a key?
    We'd like to sell the safe to a collector, but it's so heavy many people will not be able to move it. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by LoriK; 06-02-15 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Pictures will help us answer this question. Key and lock together are always worth more than the two on their own.

Default Quadruplex key and lock

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    Pictures will help us answer this question. Key and lock together are always worth more than the two on their own.
    Hi Dean,
    I do have the lock (and it works), but it's embedded in a safe!
    I will send pictures, but cannot figure out how to do that on this website.
    Thanks
    Lori

If you email me your pictures, I will post them for you.

ctlockandsafe@snet.net

Default Possible sale of safe

Hello,
    I agree that selling the lock with the key is better than just the key. However, selling the entire safe just might be better. When you say that it weighs a lot, keep in mind, some of us move safes for a living. So weight is sometimes not that big of an issue.

If you want several points of view on the "value" of your safe, post photos of it here. This web site is viewed by the top collectors in the world, so I'm quite sure one of us will give you an educated point of view as to value.

Just as a side note, one of those keys has been on ebay now for quite some time, it is still there because it is over priced. At a recent lock auction good examples of that key sold for $20. Over the years, I've purchased entire safe locks with keys for around $100.

Please post photos....who knows, you just might have a one of a kind, and don't know it.

Default Quadruplex key, lock and safe pictures

Hi,
    Thanks for the offer to post pictures and the interest.
    Here are some pictures of the safe, and key.
    You'll see a little flower or clover etching on the top of the key. I've included pics of it together and separated.
    Thanks,
    Lori
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3694.JPG   IMG_3770.JPG   IMG_3771.JPG   IMG_3773.JPG   IMG_3719.JPG  

IMG_3724.JPG  

Sure looks like a Yale Quadruplex key. Interesting because I've never seen one with a detachable bit. The marking / "etching" on the key stem was usually of a number.

What state is the safe located in?

DH

Quote Originally Posted by David Hovey View Post
    Sure looks like a Yale Quadruplex key. Interesting because I've never seen one with a detachable bit. The marking / "etching" on the key stem was usually of a number.

What state is the safe located in?

DH
    The etching is definitely not a number but looks like a three leaf clover, or flower. Can you see it in the photo? We are in MA. Are you close?

I am not a collector, however if the current value of a Yale Quad key is so low as $20, I wouldn't even bother to sell it. The first key for a antique safe I ever made was a Yale quad. It took me all day, 4 hours to make the blank and 4 hours to fit the key to the lock. And in that case the lock was readily accessible. Even at the ridiculously low price of $20/hr the key would cost $180. The safe itself is very collectible and it would be a shame to separate it from the safe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yale quad.jpg  

Default What an amazing find. I"m guessing you kept it.??

Quote Originally Posted by LoriK View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for the offer to post pictures and the interest.
    Here are some pictures of the safe, and key.
    You'll see a little flower or clover etching on the top of the key. I've included pics of it together and separated.
    Thanks,
    Lori
    Just ran across this post. If the safe is still available I would like to find out the dimensions and weight. I would love to have it for my collection.

I'm sure it's close to one of a kind. I have a safe plaque off the success or to this company. Tremont Safe and Machine Company. Anson Hardy was still listed as one of the owners.

Thread Information