Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cleveland 4 way keys ..........anyone???

I obtained a Fare-box that has two Cleveland (Chicago) 4 Way Locks on it. I have had another member of this forum graciously try to make a blank to no avail. I am resorting now to see if there is a remote chance that someone out there has a key marked K504 on it as this is what is marked on the lock. Again, I know this is a long-shot but figured I see people selling keys on ebay off and on so figured why not give it a try!

If you happen to have a key or any information that would help me PLEASE PM me! Thanks!

Default Cleveland 4 way keys ..........anyone???

Zsem. Awhile back don't remember where on this forum at someone asking about these 4-way key for Farebox and padlock. There has been a lot of people looking for these blank key as they are not on market. I have see some of these key on eBay every once a while. I have heard some locksmith trying to make these key but never heard if they did believe me they are hard to do....Timothy...

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Zsem. Awhile back don't remember where on this forum at someone asking about these 4-way key for Farebox and padlock. There has been a lot of people looking for these blank key as they are not on market. I have see some of these key on eBay every once a while. I have heard some locksmith trying to make these key but never heard if they did believe me they are hard to do....Timothy...
    Timothy, yeah these are certainly something that is not easily replaced. Furthermore the one I have the key is different in the sense that not all four sides are equal. The top two are longer than the bottom two (see pictures).

I had a member here that was able to pick the lock but was not able to make a duplicate! I am restoring a fare-box and would love to have the original locks but without a key this is not, apparently, going to happen. I also have never come across anyone selling these anywhere. I see the padlocks but not actual locks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4274[1].JPG   IMG_4273[1].JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Zsem View Post
    Timothy, yeah these are certainly something that is not easily replaced. Furthermore the one I have the key is different in the sense that not all four sides are equal. The top two are longer than the bottom two (see pictures).

I had a member here that was able to pick the lock but was not able to make a duplicate! I am restoring a fare-box and would love to have the original locks but without a key this is not, apparently, going to happen. I also have never come across anyone selling these anywhere. I see the padlocks but not actual locks.
    The fare boxes used a restricted version key that had a shape more like an X instead of the standard + you see on most cruciform keys. You might try placing a true cruciform key on an anvil and striking one side to bend the blades inward. I did that once with success. Even with a blank, they are very hard to fit a key. Papiaz makes some cruciform keys with four blades.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    The fare boxes used a restricted version key that had a shape more like an X instead of the standard + you see on most cruciform keys. You might try placing a true cruciform key on an anvil and striking one side to bend the blades inward. I did that once with success. Even with a blank, they are very hard to fit a key. Papiaz makes some cruciform keys with four blades.
    BBE.
    Thanks for the info. I sent an email to Papiaz to see if they are aware how to make or if they can refer me!

I stock the newer 4-way key blanks in my shop, I don't know how close they are to what You need

Quote Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
    I stock the newer 4-way key blanks in my shop, I don't know how close they are to what You need
    Yeah unfortunately neither do I! I don't just need a blank, I need to find someone with the skills to make a key from the lock. This has been the hard part as everyone is telling me these locks are very tough!

I actually service a church with a zeiss ikon 4 way lock on their phylacrities (holy religious artifact). One time they lost the last key and I had to impression a key from scratch. It did take awhile
    Another time the pastor crammed the working key I had made into the lock upside down, and gave it a twist. That jammed up the lock but good. I have been able to keep it
    working though with a proper application of money--of course, I get the money...

Quote Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
    I actually service a church with a zeiss ikon 4 way lock on their phylacrities (holy religious artifact). One time they lost the last key and I had to impression a key from scratch. It did take awhile
    Another time the pastor crammed the working key I had made into the lock upside down, and gave it a twist. That jammed up the lock but good. I have been able to keep it
    working though with a proper application of money--of course, I get the money...
    I sent you a PM

Still looking for anyone that can assist with making keys for this lock.

Thread Information