Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sargent master ring padlock

Has anyone seen or have any info about Sargent padlocks with dual shear lines like the Corbin master ring? The lock is identical in construction to the quatrefoil design brass locks, but has plain sides with nothing but the name SARGENT. The cylinder is identical to the duplex cylinder discussed here earlier that is found in some union locks and mortise cylinders. I'm trying to determine approx age of these padlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    Has anyone seen or have any info about Sargent padlocks with dual shear lines like the Corbin master ring? The lock is identical in construction to the quatrefoil design brass locks, but has plain sides with nothing but the name SARGENT. The cylinder is identical to the duplex cylinder discussed here earlier that is found in some union locks and mortise cylinders. I'm trying to determine approx age of these padlocks.
    The Sargent master ring cylinder, they called it Duplex, was patented Sept. 4, 1906; No. 830,013. Thus your unusual padlock likely dates from that era. Like the Corbin product, the system was developed to eliminate the key interchange problem on masterkeyed locks using split-pin mastrekeying.

Pete Schifferli

Default Are these pinned like Corbin?

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    The Sargent master ring cylinder, they called it Duplex, was patented Sept. 4, 1906; No. 830,013. Thus your unusual padlock likely dates from that era. Like the Corbin product, the system was developed to eliminate the key interchange problem on masterkeyed locks using split-pin mastrekeying.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks for the reply, I figured these were prob early 1900's or so, perhaps newer since the design is plain. Would these be pinned like Corbin? When I took one apart I found it was a 6 pin lock with 4 segments in several chambers ( bottom pin, two in the middle, top pin) as if the plug was master keyed like a regular lock in addition to having another master that operates the ring (Like Best cores). I thought these were mastered by using solid bottom pins for change keys and long buildup pins to reach the ring shearline for the master keys, thus eliminating the need for master wafers used in split pin master keying. Really an interesting design either way.

how about a picture of the lock and a few gut shots of it disassembled ?
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thanks for the reply, I figured these were prob early 1900's or so, perhaps newer since the design is plain. Would these be pinned like Corbin? When I took one apart I found it was a 6 pin lock with 4 segments in several chambers ( bottom pin, two in the middle, top pin) as if the plug was master keyed like a regular lock in addition to having another master that operates the ring (Like Best cores). I thought these were mastered by using solid bottom pins for change keys and long buildup pins to reach the ring shearline for the master keys, thus eliminating the need for master wafers used in split pin master keying. Really an interesting design either way.
    Like the Corbin Russwin version, the plug shear line is for the change key while the ring shear line is for the master key. The pin stack of a master keyed cylinder would consist of bottom pin, build-up pin, top pin and spring.The presence of master wafers in some chambers likely indicates grand master keying.

Pete Schifferli

Default Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    how about a picture of the lock and a few gut shots of it disassembled ?
    I'd love to post some pictures when I have some free time & a decent camera. I literally cannot find photos anywhere on the net of these locks. The same goes for bicentric locks-- I have one I need to take apart and rekey when I have time.

I'd love to post some pictures when I have some free time & a decent camera. I literally cannot find photos anywhere on the net of these locks. The same goes for bicentric locks-- I have one I need to take apart and rekey when I have time.
    The mechanism for the Sargent Duplex does not lend itself to easy operation in a padlock unless they just copied the Corbin patent for the padlock. Even a photo from a phone would help answer your questions.

I doubt that you will find info online about the Bi-centric padlock as few would risk taking them apart.
    BBE.

Default Picture of cylinder core and pins

Here is a photo of the cylinder and pins--this is the only part of the lock I had at the time. Both sleeve and plug are retained by a small piece of metal held in place by one screw. The plate that screws onto the back of the plug only activates the locking bolt, it does not hold the cylinder in place. b

When I got this the cylinder was almost totally frozen up. Rust wasn't an issue since everything is brass including the shackle. Based on the amount of patina on the lock this cylinder came out of it was used outdoors for a long long time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DuplexPadlockCyl.jpg  

Here is a photo of the cylinder and pins--this is the only part of the lock I had at the time. Both sleeve and plug are retained by a small piece of metal held in place by one screw. The plate that screws onto the back of the plug only activates the locking bolt, it does not hold the cylinder in place. b

When I got this the cylinder was almost totally frozen up. Rust wasn't an issue since everything is brass including the shackle. Based on the amount of patina on the lock this cylinder came out of it was used outdoors for a long long time.
    Wow, definitely the Duplex patent. Quite a find.
    BBE.

That padlock is awesome. I just started getting into Corbin master ring cylinders and was trying to find who else manufactured similar locks. Thanks for posting.

Thread Information