Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Just found Patent Number #1069734 as saying Duplex Cylinder....Timothy....
    Mea culpa.

Pete

In all fairness, Duplex is kind of an odd term for a master ring cylinder like this, especially considering Yale sold a lock called the "Duplex" that was a two keyhole, bicentric lever lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
    In all fairness, Duplex is kind of an odd term for a master ring cylinder like this, especially considering Yale sold a lock called the "Duplex" that was a two keyhole, bicentric lever lock.
    The Yale Duplex was not a bicentric or a lever lock, it just had two pin tumbler cylinders. The Yale Duplex was invented to allow Master Keying to be in the catalog. They had offered unlimited master keying until it was eliminated from the catalog in 1872.

Why did they eliminated it? They had finally discovered the rampant interchange that resulted from their 'shoebox master keying technique'. The Duplex was their solution until a few years later when someone figured out the Rotating Constant Method of master keying. They did that because customers complained about the more costly two cylinder lock.
    BBE.

Default Have you identified the keyway?

I know this thread's a bit old, but I added a duplex to my collection recently. Figured I'd post my disassembled pic to give an all-inclusive view of the internals in case anyone's interested.

Nice gut shots, looks identical to the lock I have which started this thread. Which keyway is your lock? Did you find keys that fit or was it necessary to modify blanks to fit? The ones I have are similar to R keyway, some aftermarket blanks will pass the keyway fine, but original Sargent R will not. I also have a Sargent Union Lock with a Duplex cylinder that appears to be the same keyway, close to R but not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    Nice gut shots, looks identical to the lock I have which started this thread. Which keyway is your lock? Did you find keys that fit or was it necessary to modify blanks to fit? The ones I have are similar to R keyway, some aftermarket blanks will pass the keyway fine, but original Sargent R will not. I also have a Sargent Union Lock with a Duplex cylinder that appears to be the same keyway, close to R but not the same.
    My Duplex padlock is R. Had some 6 pin Curtis S5 blanks on hand that fit. All my OEM R blanks are 5 pin; while they aren't long enough for this lock, they do fit the keyway with no problem.

I also have one of the Duplex Sargent Union locks. Was able to fit a pair of 6 pin T keyway blanks after slightly modifying the ward milling on the key. T is roughly the same shape as R, though it has some additional warding; if I had to venture a guess, your Sargent Union is likely the same keyway based on the description.

My Duplex padlock is R. Had some 6 pin Curtis S5 blanks on hand that fit. All my OEM R blanks are 5 pin; while they aren't long enough for this lock, they do fit the keyway with no problem.

I also have one of the Duplex Sargent Union locks. Was able to fit a pair of 6 pin T keyway blanks after slightly modifying the ward milling on the key. T is roughly the same shape as R, though it has some additional warding; if I had to venture a guess, your Sargent Union is likely the same keyway based on the description.
    Original Sargent "R" 6-pin 6265R crosses to*: S 5 Curtis S5 Ilco S5 Cole Nat'l S5 Hillman 09A Dominion 48A Taylor 951 Stewart A24 Atlas 632 Niessen E3L Alba 009A Osco 103A Keil 1009A Ilco 2623D Graham A1008A Ilco
    Original Sargent "R" 5-pin 265R crosses to*: 09 Dominion 48 Taylor C7 Edmonds S 1 Curtis S1 ESP S1 Ilco S1 Jet S1 Cole Nat'l S1 Jet Ditto S1 Silca Pronto S1 Hillman S1 Kustom V5 Kis E3 Alba 009 Osco 532 Niessen 950 Stewart A23 Atlas LR9 Super 103 Keil 217 Börkey 5SA2 Star 3848 Hazelton 1009 Ilco A1008 Ilco 2621D Graham SAR36R Silca

Original Sargent "T" 6-pin 6265T crosses to*: 635 Niessen 638 Niessen S 12 Curtis 43CA Taylor 105A Keil 1007C Old Ilco 2623C Graham
    Original Sargent "T" 5-pin 265T crosses to*: S 8 Curtis 43C Taylor 538 Niessen 105 Keil 1007CA Old Ilco 2621DA Graham

*Key blank equivalents taken from Blackhawk Products KBX: Key Blank X-Ref On Line, $20/yr.

Pete

Thread Information