Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs down The Sargent duplex was apparently short-lived

Quote Originally Posted by nickmannnxx View Post
    That padlock is awesome. I just started getting into Corbin master ring cylinders and was trying to find who else manufactured similar locks. Thanks for posting.
    AFAIK Sargent is the only other besides Corbin that made such cylinders. I started collecting around 1983 or so, and I just discovered last year that somebody besides P&F Corbin produced cylinders like this in the early days of pin tumbler locks. Apparently Sargent was quite innovative in the very early 1900's with oddities such as square pin cylinders and the duplex locks, but not too much later it seems they were all discontinued.

yale7750,
    square pin cylinders??? that sounds very interesting. do you have any pictures or information about those locks? i would love to get my hands on one. sargent is definitely one of my favorite manufacturers of vintage locks.

Default Yes there were square pin cylinders

yale7750,
    square pin cylinders??? that sounds very interesting. do you have any pictures or information about those locks? i would love to get my hands on one. sargent is definitely one of my favorite manufacturers of vintage locks.
    Search through earlier posts-- there was some discussion of early Sargent padlocks with square pins. It was a form of master keying--the pins had two steps, and keys either engaged the left or right sides. If I recall correctly square pin cylinders were once used on church doors as well.

Default bi-centric padlocks

did you ever get a chance to rekey your bicentric padlock ?

Default Bicentric Padlock

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    did you ever get a chance to rekey your bicentric padlock ?
    Not yet, I'm hesitant to take it apart since it's in pretty good condition and has the original patina. They are pretty rare and tough to come by in decent shape. In mint condition they are pretty expensive.

I've cleaned up and rekeyed Yale 840 padlocks that were in pretty bad shape, but they just don't look the same as original locks that have never been opened.

I recall seeing some photos of the Yale bicentric disassembly on the internet at one time, but I cannot seem to locate them. It is a rare lock; perhaps if I had another in poor shape I would attempt it.

yale7750,
    See pdf of Historical Research Series #13, June 1984 by Thomas F. Hennessy attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by oldbiscuit View Post
    how about a picture of the lock and a few gut shots of it disassembled ?
    I know this thread's a bit old, but I added a duplex to my collection recently. Figured I'd post my disassembled pic to give an all-inclusive view of the internals in case anyone's interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Robotnik View Post
    I know this thread's a bit old, but I added a duplex to my collection recently. Figured I'd post my disassembled pic to give an all-inclusive view of the internals in case anyone's interested.
    I believe the correct terminology would be "master ring" rather than "duplex".

Pete Schifferli

I know Corbin referred to these as master ring locks (I have many of those as well :)), however I believe Sargent marketed theirs as the Duplex.

Default Sargent master ring padlock

Just found Patent Number #1069734 as saying Duplex Cylinder....Timothy....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information