Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Cary Double door safe

Hello, I have a Cary Double Door Safe that I am trying to get open. By looking at the picture can anyone tell what type of lock this is. I was told the dialing direction is L R L. I was given the combination but it does not open. Could this be a gear driven lock?
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cary safe lock.jpg  

I've never seen this dial before with the Cary name. I would bet that it is an S&G dial private labeled to Cary. The significance of this dial is the change index to the right of the opening index. One expert might quickly come to the conclusion that this is a true left-hand lock. Not so.

Even thou I can't see the position of the handle in relation to the dial, there is a secret that determines what this lock is exactly. . . . . . . . . . . . . Change index 8 points to the right is true left hand lock. Change index 11 points to the right is an original S&G 6730 comb lock.

So. . . .It is not a gear driven lock, and it dials L4-R3-L2-R to stop.

DH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Catalog page 1.jpg   Original S&G 6730.jpg  

Default Cary Lock

Thank you David for that info. And yes I just got the safe open about 2 hours ago and the pic of the lock you sent looks exactly like this one. This lock when you turn the dial, all the wheels turn a little as you are dialing. They have friction against each other. Even after I cleaned it out and re lubed it. It is almost as if the washers that separate the wheels are not thick enough. Maybe worn too much.I think I will put a newer 6730 on it and just use the same dial. Thanks
    DR

Thread Information