Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new wheels for a "K" lock (Diebold)

I got the lock in the diebold safe working with the old combination and cleaned it up .I got the change key for it (slc 14) .the change holes in the wheels are a bit worn and I think a bit rounded out .I did not try to change the combo as the key was too hard to turn and I did not want to render the safe unusable . Are there any new or used wheels in decent shape available ? there are 3 wheels plus the drive wheel .The drive wheel seems OK but I would like to change the 3 number wheels so I can change the combo . here is a pic of the back of the "K" lock...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safe (7).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	630.5 KB 
ID:	12843
    ...The change holes look like they can be driven out ..is there a way to recondition the wheels??
    thanks Pat

One possibility is the auction for a complete lock I mentioned in another thread. That auction ended with zero bids. The seller might relist it again, or you could contact the seller and try to arrange something.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Comp...p2047675.l2557

I don't think that auction had wheels ..had a lot of parts but I did not see wheels. Appreciate your help getting the safe to work ....it works well...I cleaned it up..Pat

someone had put a big wood screw in one spot ...had to run a tap in the hole and find a nice bolt to replace that lovely WOOD screw

ok ....went back and looked at all the pics on that auction and saw the wheels also ..I will see if he wants to sell the lock only ...thanks Pat

The seller has relisted the lock but there's no way to know if it's in any better condition that the one you have. Note that replacing the lock or just the wheels will require pulling the spline key. This is normally considered destructive to the spline key; it's common practice to always replace a spline key with a new one but those are likely impossible to find for such an old lock. So be careful, and hope that you have one that's not too tight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251810733554

He said he cant break up the set so I will keep looking for a set of tumblers . My spline key comes out and in pretty easy . I took it out to clean the tumblers and it went back in just fine. The lock is working fine now with the old combo ..When I tried to turn the change key it was not turning and I did not want to turn it to hard and do damage. I did not want to squirt any oil or wd into the inside of the tumblers as I have read in several post not to lube the safe locks. I was worried I would round out the change holes and not be able to undo the damage . I was wondering if I could reset new numbers on the wheels separately and install them back .Then with the door open I could look at the wheels and write down the numbers when they are over the gate bar . If I took the wheel separately and turn the key and twist the center to a new spot and turn the key back ..I wouldn't know what I was setting the wheel to until I put it back in and line up the notch ..If you don't recommend doing any of this then I will leave it where it is ..thanks my friend ..Pat

Setting each wheel separately, outside of the lock case, is certainly unorthodox. If there is, say, just one single wheel that is "stuck" while the others operate smoothly with the change key, it might make some sense. But it might be difficult to get the change mechanism back to just the right position before withdrawing the change key since you will not have the guidance of the lock's back cover. The danger is that if a wheel is not properly "locked" it could shift later during normal use and you'd have a messy lockout problem. If you do attempt this I'd suggest as one last step to put the lock together and run the change key in and out to verify all the change holes are lined up acceptably well. An additional visual check would be good.

I think I will just swap the wheels around and do a slightly different combo...

Quote Originally Posted by patq View Post
    I think I will just swap the wheels around and do a slightly different combo...

I highly doubt those wheels can be swapped around, as #1 drives #2, which drives #3. The change key is most likely square on 3 sides and rounded on one side to keep someone with square stock from messing with the combo, and I don't see why you can't simply unlock one wheel while holding it in your hand and giving it a random new number with just a bit of a turn. You can find out which number it has been set to after you put the lock back together. It isn't magic

Thread Information