Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Mosler Round Door Safe

I have a round door safe that is now open but I am afraid to take the lock off of it for fear of setting off those 3 relocking pins located inside the door. See pic. Also there is one inside of the main lock bolt. I just want to be able to put it back together when I am done inspecting behind the lock and the spindle hole. Is there anyone who can give advice on this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 052.jpg   047.jpg   3 pins inside mosler safe door.jpg  

Just pin the AEDs in place before starting to work. This is common practice in transporting safes and working on them. I sometimes make AEDs with a pin hole specifically for this purpose.

Default Those are not relockers

Hello, well the good news is those are not relockers. Those round pins are just that, round hardened drill resisting dowels. They are placed there to slow down a frontal attack on the locking bolt.
    As for relocks on your safe, there might be one connected to the back cover of the lock. This will be very obvious, as it will be attached to a spring loaded bolt opposite the active locking bolt. The only other relock will be inside of the lock case itself. If you put the lock cover back on correctly, that one shouldn't be an issue.
    Feel free to attach a photo of the inside of the door with the back pan removed, and I can be of much more help to you.

Hello Yankee, Thank you for that very helpful info. Yes I will attach a picutre of door. I have started out to remove that lock 3 times and stopped each time for fear of jacking it up permanently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails outer door without both covers.jpg  

Default Simple boltwork

Thanks for the quick reply. The only surprise you might have with this would be a spring loaded locking bolt. Take a close look at the round locking bolt where it is held by the combination lock hook bolt. If my memory serves me correctly, the locking bolt will have a strong spring in it. This acts as a form of relock if the lock body/lock bolt is punched inward. That all said, I can't tell from the photo if yours has that spring or not.

Feel free to take the lock apart, there really won't be any surprises. Feel free to ask any questions at all. Have fun....

That is very helpful. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Just pin the AEDs in place before starting to work. This is common practice in transporting safes and working on them. I sometimes make AEDs with a pin hole specifically for this purpose.

Thanks Chubby for that info. I am still getting used to how this forum works. I hope I am replying in the right place. Have a good one.

Thread Information